Power to new ceiling fan?

A friend wants to install a bedroom ceiling fan in a condo. There is no electrical box at the location and there is a floor directly above So, we're looking at options:

1 - Run wiring to it, but this will require cutting/patching drywall, which means a lot of work, including repainting

2 - Using surface mount, raceway type setup

3 - Using a swag kit, which is basicly is a cord that plugs into a wall outlet, then runs through hooks to the fan.

Will probably use a remote as the only control, which makes things easier.

So, any opinions? Particularly any code issues regarding 2 or 3? I didn;'t even know 3 was an option, but on the web I see fan shops selling them.

Reply to
trader4

Hi, No light fixture on the ceiling?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yeah, there's one right there where the fan should go, staring me in the face. That's why I said there is no electrical box and was looking for alternatives. Geez.

Reply to
trader4

Huh?

Is there a light with no electrical box?

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

I'm a lazy no-goodnik, so this one is out.

But I'm very picky, so unless it goes with the rest of the decor, this is out. Heck, even if the place doesn't have decor, this is out if it is decorable.

Sounds good to me.

Reply to
mm

No, that was sarcasm to the reply that asked about "no light fixture in the ceiling?", when I made it clear in the orignal post that there was no existing electrical box and a floor above. Hence the question on alternatives.

Reply to
trader4

No, that was sarcasm to the reply that asked about "no light fixture in the ceiling?", when I made it clear in the orignal post that there was no existing electrical box and a floor above. Hence the question on alternatives.

Reply to
trader4

4- Here is how I have solved that problem many times... It is not applicable in all instances.

Take the power from a receptacle on an interior wall from the room above. (The exterior walls' insulation causes problems.)

Cut a hole at the location for the ceiling fan.

Determine the direction that the ceiling joists are running. You will be droping your 14/2 from upstairs into this "chase'.

Measure from the parallel outside wall to the center of your chase. (lets' say it's a 12'X12' room and your measurement is 6')

Go to the room upstairs and measure 6', from the same exterior wall, along the interior wall that is running perpendicular to the chase. This is where you will drop your wire down into the ceiling below.

If the room above is a tiled bathroom, fagetaboutit. If the room above is larger than the room below, fagetaboutit. Smaller or the same size is good.

Locate a receptacle along that wall.

You may have to cut, drill and patch the wall to reach your drop point.

Drill a hole through the top plate. Try to angle your hole in the direction of the ceiling fan.

Push your wire through the hole. Jam six feet of wire down there.

I hope that was clear enough.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

What you do depends on how picky you are.

Option 3 is the simplest, but looks the worst with wire hanging. And you would have to custom create a power cord to plug the ceiling fan into a wall outlet (I'm assuming that's where you'll get your power) which is risky.

Option 1 is a pain the backside, but ultimately the most permanent and gives the best value to the room and the condo.

Option 2 is the best mix of ease and look - you can paint the raceway to match the ceiling and you won't notice it as much.

On the other hand, if you DO have a light fixture there where you want to put the fan (as it seems a later post indicates), you should check to make sure the electric box is securely mounted before hanging a fan from it. If it is, you're golden.

If it's not, you can get expansion boxes at your local hardware or electrical supply store which have arms that extend to the side to secure the box to the joists. You'll still have to do some cut-and-patch, but again, this is your best option for the sake of permanence and how it will look someday down the road when your friend goes to sell the place.

snipped-for-privacy@> A friend wants to install a bedroom ceiling fan in a condo. There is

Reply to
Kyle

Ok.

IMHO, since I cannot see your setup.

I would trace out where the studs are, joists are, and the probable location of a light switch. If there is already a switched outlet in the room, there should be a switch. Take a feed off that.

As a suggestion, I would create a setup with dual swiches, meaning one switch to operate the light, and the other for operating the fan.

Once your planning it out of the way, you are correct, you will be cutting holes and pulling wire. Good luck.

later,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great