Power Inverter Wattage

What size power inverter do I need to run a sawzall?

Reply to
Ian

There's a conversion table here:

I took a quick look at sawzalls. The most amperage draw I saw was 15 amps at 120 volts.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It might depend on the size of the saw ... :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

So how big an inverter does that one need?

I've only been to a sawmill once. They used to sell half-round fence rails at the place that installed the fence, and at Home Depot, but I guees they went out of style. So I had to buy 8' fence posts at one farm store and take them to a saw mill to cut them into two. It was indoors, a pretty big set of machines. Used a circular blade, not a reciprocating one like in the video, and it went faster too, even allowing for my posts only being 4 inches and the post in the video being 3 or 4 times that. I think I had 8 posts and he din't charge that much. It's a blur but 20 or 30 or 40 dollars.

Reply to
micky

You must have got a puzzled look from the sawyer ? - cutting perfectly good cedar fence posts in half - to use for fence rails ! I suspect that the old-timers used the slabs - for rails - after squaring the cedar logs - just to make good use of them - rather than burning them .. dunno. but they do make for a certain nice rustic look at campgrounds & such and faux "log" siding on the small campground buildings. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I talked to him on the phone first, and I probably explained. If he still thought it was strange, he didn't say.

I don't have a truck, but I can still put 8 foot posts in the back seat of the convertible.

I've seen that. It didn't dawn on me until now that it was faux.

Reply to
micky

"puzzled look from the sawyer?" Tom and Huck Finn come to mind. You did that on purpose, didn't you.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Minimum 1500 to run mine unless I'm not working it hard - but even then it'll trip the 1000 on startup if not carefull.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Around here many farms were 100 acresa with title to a few acres of swamp - sometimes up to 40 - for cedar to split for rails. Splitting them isn't fun. On the farm we had a few piles of black cherry rails. HEAVY!!! nust have been a REAL job splitting them - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Could they have been locust ? < similar colour, weight, durabiility .. ? >

... not sure about split-ability .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

No, they were cherry - from the farm woodlot - split by his grandfather. They had no locust in the bush - did have ironwood (hornbeam) and lots of rock elm before Dutch Elm took them out - I cut a LOT of that - and split it (doesn;t split bad at about -5F - and as old Harry saif - it "heats twice") I have locust un the foulevarf. VERY hard to cut, but unless it's knotty not tearibly hard to split - not as "stringy" as elm. Wet, the axe just bounces off. Dry or frozen solid, it's like glass. (and just as hard on the axe)

Reply to
Clare Snyder