Post Hole Auger

About 10 years ago, I had to put up a new mail box because a car had slid into it due to the ice caused by the damnyankee snow. I used PVC pipe, but filled it with Sakrete. With my son saw the rebar, he remarked about how that might be overkill. I smiled said "I like overkill."

A few years later som punk it with a baseball bat and I told the police officer to check the emergency room for broken arms. ;) And sure enough they found him. ;)

There's no such thing as overkill.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Whenever I fill out a medical form where says allergies, I write "manual labor - causes me to sweat profusely and hurts my muscles". I always fail to include that it makes the beer taste better. ;)

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

I defer to your greater experience, and it certainly is way greater than mine.

Reply to
mm

I used one of these a couple years ago installing a wood fence. (Assuming by manual you mean the kind you turn by hand, applying muscle power to the crosspiece.) I found it much easier to use than the clamshell type manual post hole diggers. But you may need both and/or other implements depending on what is in the soil - the auger does not do well with roots or big rocks. I dug a couple dozen or so holes this way to 40 inches deep and I am a middle aged pencil-neck geek. So it's not impossible. But you might want to break it up over several sessions or do other parts of the project in between, just to avoid repetitive motion problems. Also, the size of the hole is determined by the size of the auger, I think 6 inches is pretty standard. Do you really need 8 inches diameter? If so you might have to go with something motorized. --H

Reply to
Heathcliff