Possibly dumb question about Christmas lights

My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas lights on all the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including overnight. For the magical feeling it's supposed to invoke, and wanting to wake up to the sight of the lit tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks, Banty

Reply to
Banty

Probably depends mostly on the type of bulbs, and the dryness of the tree. If they are cool bulbs, and the tree isn't directly off of "Christmas vacation", you are probably ok.

On the other hand, most light sets are crappy $2.55 sets just waiting to short circuit (IMO)

You could put in a timer (available at any home store) to turn them off after you go to bed, and on again before you get up.

Reply to
Matt

After further thought, the fireman in me came alive. It's been awhile, but I can recall stories of families killed because their tree torched. Might not happen to you - I would even go so far as to say probably wont happen..... is it worth taking the chance?

Reply to
Matt

On 12/28/2004 3:45 PM US(ET), Banty took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Do you mean other than to your electric bill? Tell them if they were truly magical, they would light without electricity.

Reply to
willshak

The tree is a new artificial pre-strung tree. The other lights are pretty decent and new.

That would be a lot of timers. We're pretty decked out :-)

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Anything can happen at anytime. The longer "anytime" is, especially while unoccupied and unattended, the greater the risk.

I doubt those twinkling clear mini lights on an artificial garland present any real danger.

There seems to be a greater danger overall, in the attitude that "wants" should overrule common sense, and that you're even considering it a valid argument.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

My neighbor across the street had a small fire and called the fire department. In five minutes the small fire was out. However they saw the Christmas lights attached to the house in April. The neighbor did not bother to take them down and put them up each year. The firemen made it clear that they would be back in a week and if the lights were not off the house they would declare the home unfit to habitation. The lights came off. I might add that your insurance company may not like the idea and may have a clause in your contract that could cost your insurance coverage if you keep using them.

Regular cheap Christmas lights are not designed for year around use. They should be used once a year and inspected each year as they are put up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Really? I use some old ones which were called "year-'round" lights.

Like these:

:-)

Although, all newer light strings have warnings not to exceed 90 days of use.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Could be, but then they would not be Christmas lights would they? :-)

If they are really rated for year around use, that is one thing, but most people are not paying for those.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

two dangers at least

1) this danger will become apparent on your next electricity bill, unless you have averaged billing

2) the danger of being disappointed if expected magical feelings aren't invoked

beyond that, seems christmas trees can catch fire, resulting in destruction, and maybe even death

maybe christmas is about risking death while enriching energy companies and keeping fire departments busy

Reply to
effi

I would not do it as there is some risk. Use a timer.

Reply to
Phisherman