Pool table recover

I've seen the inside of many coin op tables and I think if it's true, it was the operator who did the "modifications". I did know one guy who would slightly increase the speed of a jukebox turntable so there was more time to put in more money.

No, none are perfect but I must say that I got them almost as level as they could be. Better than 95% of other coin op tables. After using a level I then shot a ball off bumpers, or just real slow, watching which direction it drifted as it slowed and made fine adjustments. And it was nothing to pull the one piece slate more than once (by myself) to shim where needed if it couldn't be fixed by adjusting the leg levelers.

Reply to
Tony

=BDAfter using a

Those one piece slates are HEAVY. I've done a few. They are still much easier to recover than the 3 piece, but MUCH more work to move if you remove the slate to move. Most companies around here just remove the legs and keep everything else together when moving. Gotta be strong!

I drop a ball from about a foot so that it contacts the edge of the rail and is sent down the table at a slow to medium speed. Shooting a ball with a cue to determine its path can vary because ofr the slight side spin that you may apply without knowing it. They also make a gizmo that is like a wedge with a groove in it. You lay it on the table and roll a ball down it. The speed wil always be the same and no side spin affect takes place.

But, nothing is perfect. Some cloths have little balls of cotton that will throw a ball off too. Depth of knap and temp/humidity will also affect roll and speed. There is just soooooooooo much that can affect ball roll that it is impossible to get it right. Not counting how a person strokes to begin with.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Well, if you've got any kind of stroke you can lag a ball across the centers of the spots. If it crosses the spots on the return you've got a pretty good table, and a fairly decent stroke.

I like to put the corner of a chalk on the rail at one diamond and shoot a lag with the ball aligned so that the cue aligns with the opposing diamond and the ball center.

As in golf, opponents play the identical course layout. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I used to own bars in Houston. The pool tables are sat on a LOT more than any home table unless you have rowdy disrespective relatives and inlaws. You don't tell a big cowboy or construction worker to get his ass off the table. You can ask, but most times, it's just as good to ignore it. The pool tables are sometimes used after hours for things I won't say. Lots of things that can get them out of level. I don't recall our supplier ever leveling it after the install. There were screw feet so we could do it if it was really bad, which we did occasionally. Never ever tightened the rails, tho. Told them if they were loose and they did it.

Irving Kaye was the brand. Nice looking tables, don't know if they were any good or not. Well, they were good for porking cocktail wiatresses. The Dixie mafia supplied them, as well as all the other machines and cigs in the places. And the tables, chairs, beer boxes, booze, juke box, beer, and a caveat that "If anyone comes in here and tries to pressure you to buy from them, just call me and I'll take care of them." The man was pure d mafioso with two HUGE bubbas with him at the original interview, one stood at the table, the other by the door. Neither ever spoke, just stood there with their arms closed. We got everything to furnish the place for $2,000 down payment, the rest to be taken in payments. Another caveat, "If you make it or if you fail, you WILL pay me. Understood?"

We made real good money, and they emptied the machines every week, giving us a healthy fund for the bartender to keep the juke box going, refund any problems on the table or machines, a separate cut, and then a cut we put down on the IRS envelope. We ended up opening and selling six of them in Houston and Galveston. I lived very well during those seven years, and even had the foresight to buy silver before it went sky high. Then got a healthy monthly check for two years after the corporation dissolved due to my partner's death. (natural)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"gpsman" wrote

snip

morphed again, you slimy little puke?

plonk

Reply to
Steve B

If they were commercial tables you can dance on them with no harm. They are built to take the abuse. Sounds like some bunch of idiots if they don't even level a pool table after installing it. Sounds like you didn't care either. Like with many new products with wood and bolts, they are going to need maintenance. Even if it was only used by some little old lady from Pasadena, the rails with need tightening.

Depends on the model. Irving Kaye was known for very high quality tables, but to stay competitive most all manufactures built some cheaper low quality stuff also.

Nice looking tables, don't know if they were any

I thought you said you weren't going to say that?

Reply to
Tony

In Steve's defense, the company probably didn't want anybody that wasn't qualified to maintain the tables. At least he told them about it. Some employees wouldn't do that much.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

?Sounds like some bunch of idiots if they

Where did it say that?

?Sounds like you

You're either psychic or psychotic. If psychic, tell me what I'm thinking of you right now. Go put in an app with NSA, and you can make some big bucks. If you're psychotic, just keep taking your meds.

?Like with many new products with wood and bolts,

They serviced the tables, and split the money. I never saw a loose rail. When I hire someone to do something, I don't stand there and watch them. That's called micromanaging, and a bad management technique. When we had a stuck ball, they'd be right over to get it loose. Tell me someone doesn't care when an income stream is interrupted. Wait, you already did. Sorry.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You wrote "I don't recall our supplier ever leveling it after the install."

What exactly did that mean?

You wrote "Never ever tightened the rails, tho. Told them if they were loose and they did it."

That sounded as if a customer complained the rails were loose and they were told "Told them if they were loose and they did it." What did you mean?

Oh definitely Psychotic! OK, I'll start taking the meds again. ???

(not sure who needs the meds?)

Reply to
Tony

OK, I get it. Still when I was in the business the tables were checked for level at least every time they were recovered, normally more often. We even kept a little vacuum cleaner like the little plastic *Dirt Devil* in the truck. When collecting the money the felt also got vacuumed every week or two. Besides cleaning the top, it also cuts down on chalk buildup under the felt that can effect game play.

It's worse than you think, I'm like this without alcohol or other mind altering drugs.

I suppose I was so picky because I was also very picky about the upkeep of the coin-op equipment I owned, and also just as picky for the equipment I serviced full time for a different coin-op operator.

Reply to
Tony

Keyword:after.

They serviced it, and saw it often enough. Never saw a loose rail, so they either didn't loosen, or they tightened them on servicing.

Reread when you're sober.

Is there some meds that help with reading comprehension, common sense, or just taking statements with a grain of salt and not being so picky about syntax?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B