Pool pump shuts off/on it's own

I've got a Hayward Turbo Flo above ground pool pump (series SP2075) that shuts off when it's hot outside or very sunny. It will stop for a few minutes and start up again on its own.

1) Is this the end of my pump? 2) Any dangers to this? 3) Is it worth repairing? Could I do it myself?

Many thanks Lisa

Reply to
Lisa

many motors have a thermo fuse in them to prevent overheating. it, or the motor, could be going bad.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Likely. Bearings are worn and added friction generates heat, triggering the thermal protection shutoff switch built into the motor. You're just on the edge of constant failure, and thus the added heat of a hot day triggers a shutdown.

You're depending on the thermal cutout to prevent overheating. That can't go on for long. The heat and wear will spiral into self- destruction sooner or later. But catching on fire or the like are unlikely, although not impossible.

In theory you can replace the bearings. In practice this is not feasible unless you know a motor rebuilder who works very cheap.

However, if you check eBay, you can find new pumps, motors, and rebuilt motors, very reasonably priced from dealers and repair shops doing business there. Your local pool shop will consider this a routine item, but they tend to charge a premium price, which they're entitled to.

I find the best strategy is to put an automatic watch on eBay, and buy a spare pump and/or motor very very cheap, since sooner or later the run you use today will fail.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Pool parts are not that cheap on EBay unless you just get extremly lucky. I just built a pool and bought lots of stuff on the net. I found a lot of things cheaper straight from a dealer than on EBay. I got my pump locally cheaper than anything I saw on the net.

As for your pump, if the bearings are bad it will be howling. If this is really an overheat problem it will be too hot to touch. Does it smell "hot"? There are a few other things that can be bad and cause that, like a stuck start switch but if you keep cycling it like that it will be toast soon. Are you sure it isn't just a bad connection, a switch or a faulty timer?

Reply to
Greg

You just need a spider that runs for a year and alerts you. During the season, and on any random day, you're not as likely to find bargains. You have to search off-season and for a long time (thus the spider). I have a spare pump or two on the shelf that I only paid $25 or $50 for.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch