Pole Transformer Glowing Red

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:5aWdnQwSHorTJ7XTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'd rather have wireless or fiberoptic HS Internet. no wires to conduct lightning into my home.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Seriously impressive, no doubt. But check out the links to Stoneridge Engineering. WOW!

I once worked at a govt lab constructing huge particle accelerators, more than one. I had no idea it was even legal to be built by civilians for commercial use. Check out these "lightning sculpures" and how they are made (8 min youtube video). Frankly, I'm beyond astonished. I gotta get me one of these things!

Again ....WOW!!

nb

Reply to
notbob

When I lived in Ga we had some transformers on our street with lights on them. Someone told me once they came on when the transformer was overheating. I can believe this because it was usually during the summer on a Sunday...all on the street would be lite up.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You mean the ones under the '95 Crown Vicky with the 26" wheels?

Reply to
krw

No.

Reply to
A. Baum

In 2001 we were traveling way back in the boonies in very rural Utah; no cell towers anywhere; signal strength 0. As we neared a power transmission run across the landscape, signal strength slowly increased to 5 bars, then decreased back to 0 a few miles after we passed them. First time experienced power lines as a transmission source.

Reply to
Red

My cable company advertizes that they use fiber optic cables. Truth is that they use it up to the point where it enters the neighborhood, then it switches to copper. So I'm still susceptable to lightning, but over a smaller area.

Reply to
Red

I saw a pole transformer explode and catch fire one day as i drove by it. before cells phones existed i went to a pay phone and reported the situation

Reply to
bob haller

In the past, I've never reported power failures as dozens of others always did and power was quickly restored. I have to be more careful now. Last week my neighbor was home before me and called the power company. Good thing as there are only four houses on the particular transformer that blew. It took 6 1/2 hours from phone call to restoration. Minor inconvenience.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The new remote meters many power companies are using make a difference too.

A few months back we got up on a Saturday morning and the power went off. There are 4 homes connected to the same transformer. I could see streetlights were still on down the block. I went outside and could see the fuse on the transformer serving our houses was open. I called the power company and they said they already knew because of the meters.

The electric company truck came an hour later and he replaced the fuse and power was back.

Reply to
George

Pulled along side the road one night to watch a building on fire. Next thing I knew the pole pig exploded. Some young chick standing in front of me fainted. I caught her before she hit the ground. Those things don't glow they just blow.

Reply to
A. Baum

Was this on a farm? Pole PIGS and CHICKS......

I bet that blast made you MOOve....

Sure sounds like a BAAAd situation.

The electrician probably used DUCKtape on the wires, and that caused the fire.

Did you call a doctor for that CHICK? I hope he wasn't a QUACK.

Or did you just take her home to help you count SHEEP?

Reply to
jw

She sucked the paint right off the thing.

"Blow" is just a figure of speech.

Reply to
krw

My best friend was a design engineer for distribution transformers made by Allis Chalmers. They went out of the transformer business in the 70s. In any case I will ask him if a transfomer could glow......

will let you know:)

Reply to
bob haller

You can't be serious. I didn't think anyone was, in this thread. ...including the OP.

Reply to
krw

As a update my best friend a retired distrubution transformer design engineer reports a transformer that gets hot enough to glow will be in flames before glowing.......

as others reported some transformers have red lights that trip on if overheated, that may have formed the basis of the red glow

Reply to
bob haller

The red "glow" would have come from an indicator on the transformer to indicate it had a problem. I imagine they saw that reflecting off something and thought it was the transformer.

Reply to
Twayne

Bob Villa posted for all of us...

Causes massive radio interference with one system and both this and another incarnation were economically disastrous.

Reply to
Tekkie®

They're idiots. They can't tell the difference between a small red indicator light, and a glow.

Reply to
mkirsch1

That use of heaters must have happened before.

Reply to
Rod Speed