Plugged Tub Drain

Well' the tub drain has been plugged for three days now, and the family is getting kind of grubby. I fought with it all weekend. Here's what I know/did: 80 year home, tub clogged. First tried drain cleaner - no work. Then tried plunging - no work - but I did succeed in causing a bunch of leaks around the tub drain which caused me to replace the tub drain and overflow, but that's another story. Finally discovered a clean-out in a linen closet adjacent to the bathroom. Ascertained that the "U" from the tub to the clean-out is not clogged. Tried to rout-out from the clean-out to wherever, maybe 15 feet, and it's still plugged solid. My basement ceiling is plastered so I can't see any piping except for what I tore up yesterday. Any ideas before I call a plumber? How about drain cleaner from the clean-out to wherever?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bob P.

keep pouring the chemicals in the drain and you gonna eat the pipe up and really need a plumber...

Reply to
jim

Rent a small powered drain clean auger: hand-held, looks like a drill. (You can buy a snake-in-a-drum to fit on a drill but these are usually too small for this job.)

I'm not a fan of the pipe-eating chemicals; you probably have ancient galvanized iron drain pipe.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Maybe a longer snake? They also make expanding blubble gadgets to fit on the end of a garden hose. Turn the water on, and the bubble expands and keeps shooting water.

Longer snake sounds like a good idea.

Might also be able to get some drain cleaner into the pipe with a funnel and a long, thin hose?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I'd say that's part of your problem. Having a ceiling in the basement is pointless.

I recently used a mechanical drain cleaner (The Rigid tool one that Home Depot sells for ~20-something bucks; I think it's 25 feet long). I used it 5 times and got clumps of hair 3 times and nothing 2 times. So you might need to try it a few times or use a longer one as someone else already suggested.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Why is a basement ceiling "pointless"? If the area is finished as living space, it seems reasonable. Beside, what if his bath had been on the second floor. He'd have the same problem.

Reply to
mwlogs

Call in a pro, they'll have it snaked out in a jiffy. Sure it'll run you some bucks, but it beats the hell out of loosing the use of your bathtub. Either that or rent a snake and try it yourself. Dave

Reply to
DaveG