Please evaluate my grass planting plan.

Take several soil samples to your local extension service and have them tested to find out the actual PH of the soil. Then till in the proper amount of lime, per instructions on the bag or in a turfgrass book. It takes quite a while for the lime to be absorbed into the soil and for the PH to adjust. People generally lime the soil the previous fall. Pulverized lime works fastest. You can go ahead and plant the grass seed, but best results won't happen until you get into the right PH zone (ask the agent at the extension service what this is in your area). Blindly "dumping a bunch of lime on the ground" is not the way to approach this, although grass is pretty forgiving.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Thanks, I will check about testing ph of my soil. Ibelieve also that there are kits to do it.

Ignoramus2772

The kits are OK, but often not so accurate. Take several samples from a few different areas and compare them. Follow the directions with the kit carefully.

Reply to
Tom Miller

really want

huge

already), say,

Roundup is

least

I think you have roundup confused with something else.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ignoramus25707 wrote: > In article , TURTLE wrote: >

I don't believe it is correct to assume the soil is acidic because pines grow there. Ours is sandy/alkaline and pines grow fine. Taking a soil sample from several areas, then taking it to extension service is recommended here to assess for pH, soil pests, nutrient deficiencies, etc.

Roundup is not a great idea, especially in root zone of plants you want to keep. It would not be necessary unless the weed growth is too heavy for the tiller. There is plenty of weed seed in what you will till, so the Roundup is not "final" anyway.

I wouldn't plant grass up to the fruit trees, because you may damage the trunks mowing. Is is generally recommended that you mulch (properly, not right up against trunk). Garden centers will sell you a lot of stuff, like tree wrap, that isn't necessarily good for fruit trees. Here is a link to Illinois Extension Service. Our extension service, locally in Florida, is a great resource - can bring in weeds or pests for identification and advice, talk to master gardeners for advice.

Reply to
norminn

NorMinn

thanks, a great link...