Patio Question

I would like to put a brick paver patio in my backyard, and I have done the research regarding the amount of aggregate and sand that needs to be placed under the pavers to keep them stable. I figure I will need to dig about 6 - 8" into the ground and begin layering my aggregate etc.

Trouble is, I have a rather large pine tree right against the side of one of the edges of the patio, and am not sure how deep I can dig before hitting the roots. My guess is about 4" before hitting them.

Can I dig down the shallow and still put the required amount of aggregate - which will bring the patio 4" above grade. I can easily put more soil around the edges to "smooth" out the difference to make it look aesthetically pleasing. But I am not sure if this will present issues with freezing during the winter.

Looking for some advice!

Thanks.

Reply to
greatyetiofthenorth

it will cause heaving etc..........

best to keep the patio well away from tree.

besides aggragate tends to be basic rather than acidic which can harm or kill tree.

pine is acid loving

Reply to
hallerb