Parking lot resurface

Think $2-$4 per square foot for the paving, plus removal and renovation costs. I'd suspect the hundred thousand dollar guess would be on the low side.

Reply to
clare

Only a total fool would repave over a non-stable pavement.

Reply to
clare

We were without pavement for a few weeks last summer as the city tore out all the (breaking up but not terrible) 40 year old asphalt paving on the streets in our subdivision, repairing the underying roadbed (excavating and relaying and tamping the gravel ro a depth of about 4 feet) then repaving.It'll be another 40 years before they have to do it again - even being on a bus route.

A patch job would have cost about 1/4, and they'd have been back at it in 5 or 6 years.....and likely have to do the "whole job" the second or third time anyway - at a higher cost.

Reply to
clare

Following up to my answer - re cost per square foot - yes the paving contractor generally does the removal and excavation. Any company that does not have that capability should stick to residential driveways - which require less equipment .

Reply to
clare

Is any soil testing required or being done?

Reply to
SeaNymph

They had patched various spots on my road over the years, mostly around the 2 man hole covers where the plows bust up the road, plus a few pot holes.

When a neighbor and I went to the town 2 or 3 years ago to complain, we were told that there were no plans to do anything to our road for the foreseeable future, as in not for many years. Maybe they would consider a large patch to encompass a number of smaller degraded patches "next spring". Come the following spring all they did was repatch the patches that got damaged by the plow.

Then out of nowhere, we get a letter last August saying not to park on the street during a specific week because they would be milling the road in preparation for laying a new surface.

Well, that week comes and goes and we saw no action. When I called I was told that they decided not to mill the entire street, just the ends, and then to lay new asphalt over the old. "It wasn't as bad as we originally thought."

Sure, OK. I guess we'll see.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd SWAG'ed $250K. I think there's about 30K sq ft involved (though they could "cheap out" and leave a portion of the parking lot unpaved). I figure the old has to be removed. The site then regraded (city code requires all rainfall on a property to be handled *on* that property so you can't just let it run out through the curb cuts into the street). A gravel underlayment put in place (to keep water that would seep through inevitable cracks to the hard-pan beneath from heaving the asphalt). Then, paved and finally painted/signage. Of course, all the while ensuring compliance with any *new* city codes/inspection (ADA, etc.).

When I offered my guesstimate, they dismissed it as TOTALLY RIDICULOUS: "It *can't* cost that much just for a parking lot!"

As *I* have no skin in the game, I just shrugged and left them to their own devices -- "I told you so" works quite well! (except for the party hearing said comment :> )

Reply to
Don Y