Panel advised needed

I need an advise how to fix wall panel problem. I put standard 1/4" panels in my basement workshop. I made a mistake and cut panels exactly from floor to finish without any gap. I nailed them to studs. After several months panels start to bend probably due to extension. As they extent vertically and no gap exist between them and floor they bend. I need to trim panels about 1/4" or so from floor level. What tool can I use to do this?

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

Maybe a laminate trimmer, it is a small router. Or there is a similar tool sold but I forgot the brand name, Zip? . Pulling the paneling may be easiest way to cut it. It expanded from humidity perhaps from the wall itself. With winter here humidity should go down. A dehumidifier may help. There are also circular saws with 3" blades if one can be set at an angle it may work, Makita and others have battery models. Another idea is a small grinder with 3 " wheel on the outside, the composite blades do cut and maybe a wood circular saw blade could be used.

Reply to
m Ransley

One idea is to use a miniature circular saw, set to a shallow depth, to make two cuts all the way around the room horizontally, one about 3 feet above the floor and one about 6 feet above the floor, then cover the slots with molding. -B

You could use a Jamb saw which is used to cit the bottom of door jambs to aloow new flooring to slide under. Like this one:

if your tool rental store has one.

Reply to
willshak

The Jamb saw reminds me of a floor edge sander. I wonder if a saw blade could be used on an edge sander you rent. You may want to at least remove 1 piece of paneling excessive wall moisture could be a cause, mold would be evident needing further attention.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ransley may have a point here. Given that problem, I would pull off the paneling, allow it to stabilize or dry out for a few weeks, then trim as necessary and paint the back of it and reinstall. Any cheap oil based paint or poly varnish would make a decent vapor quasi-barrier. A full out vapor barrier over the studs might help, but you must judge that for your self. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

The panels are in basement workshop. Entire basement is insulated R-13 Kraft-face batts with vapor barrier and is heated via central forced air. It is extremely difficult to pull off panels as there are numerous receptacles, shelves, etc in the workshop.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin