painting problem- old house, plaster wall

Hi I am painting an old plaster wall in an older home. I have noticed that the wall was painted 8 months ago with a primer and now some areas are completely peeling to the plaster---- I realize this could be calcimine but it could also be a moisture problem... If I put on a primer with anti-calcimine feature i.e. B. Moore- if it turns out that it is not calcimine--- will the oil based primer (thats B. Moore Product) still be beneficial for the moisture problem???? Thanks KOS

Reply to
KOS

Calcimine would dissolve when wet, so doubtful that is what is peeling. You NOTICED it was painted 8 mos ago, or you painted it 8 mos ago? If you have a moisture problem, you need to fix it before you paint again........no primer is going to stick to a wet surface and not blister or peel. Is it a bath or kitchen? If conditions were damp when it was painted, and there is no leak, then the solution is to get the space nice and dry and then use a primer and paint labelled for use on plaster.

Reply to
Norminn

hi there. It was painted 8 months ago by another painter. Now it has peeled right down to the plaster. This is a bedroom, brick house...The plaster is dry not wet..and when it was painted the walls were totally dry no moisture.

Reply to
KOS

Is this latex paint on an exterior plastered brick wall? Use oil base paint.

Reply to
DanG

Use a moisture meter to determine if there is a water problem. If so that must be fixed first.

RicodJour