painting over glossier paint

I like the color, but I have discovered that I don't like the sheen.

So right now I have semi-gloss on the walls, and now that I look hard at it I think it should be satin or one level flatter. If I have one coat on already of semi-gloss, can I safely put satin over it as the second coat and still achieve a satin finish?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Customer service at the paint manufacturer should have the answer. Otherwise, one of the adhesion promoting primers on the market might be a good answer. Check over the shelves at your paint store...lots of unique problem solving products there. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Don't they sell deglossing chemicals for exactly this purpose?

Reply to
Goedjn

It can be a problem depending upon a number of factors. That being said, I've gone over latex semigloss with latex eggshell with a dose of Flotrol in it and never had a problem.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Alright, so maybe its a matter of talking to the paint store and seeing what my options are, then just doing it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Alright, now we're getting somewhere.

Have you ever heard of the Law of Conversation of Favors? My freshman year in college, our lacrosse captain, a superb goalie named Jeff, took me aside and told me about the Law. Specifically he was talking about the "cage" manager - the athletic supplies head honcho by the name of Murphy - and the importance of conserving Murph's favors. If you wasted Murph's time and patience by asking for replacement socks and towels and other trivial things that you'd lost, you'd use up your limited number of favors. Then, when you _really_ needed the favor, you were out of luck. The well had run dry.

My point is that you seem to be a smart guy with a tendency to be lazy. That's not a crime - in fact it's fairly common, and I tend to doubt that I'm the first person who has told you this. You seem to want to be spoon fed information without effort. You're asking us to do you favors and provide answers to simple questions. Answers to questions that have been asked innumerable times, and things that would take you far less time to search for on your own.

You may want to take into account the Law of Conservation of Favors when posting. Save your questions for the tougher situations - things where you might find conflicting information that seem to have equal merit and wish to know which is the better course of action, or things where your web searches are dead ends.

RicodJour

I do appreciate your input. What I'm about to say does nothing to lessen your input past and present. But here is where I get pissy. I don't expect you to embrace me as a brother after this, but it isn't my intent to attack you.

THIS IS AS NEWSGROUP No one compels you to answer, no one has appointed you the guru, no one is asking you directly.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE QUESTION - THEN DON'T ANSWER. I do it all the time, when people annoy me by asking too much I don't answer. I don't killfile them, I don't brood over it with cold hatred, I simply don't answer. They will either get the point and go elsewhere or someone else will offer assistance. At no time do I presume that my input is required. No one pays me to be here so what I do is done through interest alone.

AT NO TIME DO I ASSUME OR EXPECT AN ANSWER. Yeah I post a lot of questions, so what? It is sufficient to simply ignore the silly questions. You're right, I'm not an idiot, if no one answers the question then I'll assume they aren't biting and look it up myself. There is nothing lost in asking first, except maybe an additional post. But in not asking there is the chance, however slim, that valid information in the form of anecdotes will be lost - simply because someone was afraid to ask a stupid or obvious question.

Reply to
Eigenvector

EV-

I think you missed the point :(

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

You should be able to paint over semigloss painted walls with satin without any problems. I assume that the semigloss is latex, which does not form a particularly hard surface.

Reply to
Karl S

You didnt say if you recently painted it. If its old oil sand it completly dull with a pole sander and prime if your not feeling safe , if its old latex medium sand it. if its new latex go right over it. If its old wash it good.

Reply to
m Ransley

No it's fresh latex, a week old. I'm gonna run down to the paint store this afternoon and see what they recommend. But doesn't sound like it will be a problem. I can try TSP if nothing pans out, that's pretty good at taking the shine off paint.

Reply to
Eigenvector

No, I'm quite sure I got the point.

I'd be more than happy to hear your interpretation however - offline. I'm done with this thread, people have offered advice and I'm following up on it today.

Reply to
Eigenvector