Painting (not Staining) Pressure Treated Lumber

It's a combination of things, I think, h. As with all other wood products, 25-yr old PT isn't the same as new product. Another is the naive belief by many that a 4x4 or 6x6 green piece of wood cut from a twig w/ the core running through it can/should dry completely dry w/o checking and/or cracking. Of course, in the real world, it ain't a' gonna' happen. The last is few have the patience to wait for the wood to dry thoroughly as you apparently have before trying to paint...

Reply to
dpb

I watched the whole thing in real time, and I can assure you that although many groups were lobbying and threatening lawsuits, they could NEVER get the EPA or anyone else to label CCA treated lumber as dangerous. The companies that produce it, however, saw the onslaught of lawyers and potential litigation. They decided it would be cheaper to change the formula rather than fight. There is alot of evidence about this for those that don't have a dog in the hunt and weren't paying attention at the time it was going on.

As dpb said, do some research and try to find a single proven case of harmful effects caused by exposure to CCA. You won't find it. Except for a few idiots that burn it and are harmed by the smoke, there is no evidence that it has harmed people by normal exposure to the lumber.

Kinda reminds me of asbestos, now. It is considered to be a potential threat to mankind, but it is really only a threat to people that are exposed to it for years on a daily basis. Such as the workers that are being paid huge amounts of money to remove it from our schools and workplaces. If you are really afraid of it, you should talk to experts on the subject that will tell you just how ridiculous it is to be bothered by it at all.

Remember VA tile? The commercial and residential tile that was in every grocery store and every kitchen floor for decades? Ever wonder what VA stands for? Vinyl asbestos is the correct answer. How many children crawled around on that floor while their mothers were shopping or cooking? How many people do you know that are suffering from asbestos exposure (asbestiosis). None, unless you know someone that worked in the asbestos manufacturing industry for at least a decade.

Instead of just believing all of the sky is falling rhetoric by the nanny state protectors, it might be a good idea to look into the real harmful effects of things before you start warning everyone about them.

Those of us that ARE exposed to these substances on an almost daily basis HAVE to find out the real facts about them because it affects our health and longevity. Now, who are you going to trust on these issues,...someone that once heard or read something, or someone whose health depends on the facts about them?

Reply to
Robert Allison