painting kitchen cabinets

i know just about nothing when it comes to this... could someone tell me what kind of paint i could use to paint 30 yr old kitchen cabinets? they cannot be sanded and re-stained (i already looked into that)..

i'd like to paint them with a flat paint, but not sure what kind of paint to use.... any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
FH

flat is probably not suited to that purpose, lean towards an eggshell alkyd enamel, prep will involve serious cleaning degreasing and perhaps a primer sealant, dings can be filled with auto body glaze and similar.

Reply to
beecrofter

You need to sand, prime, then paint, preferably with a gloss or semi-gloss enamel. Flat will be a mess from normal kitchen grease in a short time.

I'd visit a good paint store (not a big box store paint department) and get some ideas on what they have available that will suite your needs best. The often have painted samples so you can see what the finish will be like.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also those new foam mini rollers will avoid brush marks and roller lap marks (due to rounded roller ends), that is if the doors lend themselves to roller painting (IOW flat and without applied detail moulding), if the doors are detailed you will have to use brush.

Reply to
RickH

I would use a high gloss oil based paint like Rustoleum. And I'd also remove the doors and spray paint them. Use thinned out Rustoleum with rollers with curved ends for the in place vertical pieces. But that's just me. Actually, if they were mine I'd refinish them proper with stain and high gloss oil based polyeurethane. I'm curious as to why you "can't" do this.

Reply to
scott21230

The cabinets are wood with clear finish? Particle board with printed wood grain? How many cabinets, doors and drawers? It is conceiveable that stripping and refinishing (real wood) with stain and clear coat could be roughly equal amount of work as painting. If the present finish is very dark, you might end up needing a coat of primer and two or three coats of paint. Either way, they need to be completely clean and free of grease. Take all hardware off and work outdoors or in garage. Wash them with good household cleaner (Formula 409, etc.). If there are areas with gummy dried grease, clean them with fine steel wool and mineral spirits and then with denatured alcohol. Sand. Vacuum to remove dust. Prime. Paint with semi-gloss alkyd paint, using quality brush. Flat paint is a poor choice for two reasons - dirt harder to remove, and grease will make the flat paint have shiny spots. High gloss paint is more difficult to apply and will show irregularities more. Good luck.

Reply to
Norminn

thanks for all the help everyone :-))

Reply to