painted tile floor - how to resurface?

I know that pros use pressure washers to remove the coatings from Saltillo tile for refinishing. It is a mess but it does work. Need lots of pressure and volume and it will take the better part of a long day to get it off. Then let dry really well and re-seal the tile. Lots of plastic on the walls to protect everything and take the outside door off. You will have a river running before to long.

Reply to
SQLit

Just clean it good and repaint it.

Reply to
G Henslee

My girlfriend has a Saltillo tile floor in a 10x10 sun room - a few years ago, her ex spilled a bucket of paint on the floor - they decided to paint the entire floor with a water-based latex paint - their two dogs stayed there most of the day over the years - 7 years later, it looks terrible - big surprise, huh? She needs to do something to the floor before she puts the house on the market - I think removing the paint from the tile and grout is going to to be way too much effort, if it's even possible. I was thinking that some kind of coating, maybe like they use on the concrete floors in a garage, might be a potential solution. If so, what would I need to do to prep the existing surface to prepare it for the coating? I'd appreciate any other suggestions - I was thinking that a laminate floor might work, but the tile surface is pretty uneven.

Thanks!

Reply to
no_junk_mail

Oy what a mess.

It's a small room is the good news. I'm guessing that removing the existing tile replacing the flooring in there with laminate Pergo type stuff, or something of that nature might be (sadly) the quickest fix.

Cleaning up that tile even if it is possible will take longer than scraping it out and slapping down some laminate would. Laminate floor directly over an uneven surface is gonna be noticeably goofy when walked upon I'm guessing.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
no_junk_mail

Greetings,

Purchase a $4 gallon of a dark brown off-tint paint and roll it (2 thick coats) with a $1 roller. This won't "fix the problem" but the results might be worth $5 to you. After the paint is DRY put down an area rug. This will protect the paint.

Take the 6 hours and $200 you saved elsewhere.

Aug 5th 2006 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate Aug 5th 2007 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate Aug 5th 2008 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate Aug 5th 2009 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate Aug 5th 2010 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate Aug 5th 2011 - take an hour off and spend $46 to celebrate

Invested at 10% you could spend $46 per year during one of those hours you saved every year for six years.

If this all sounds silly to you then use the 6 hours and $200 you saved to fix something you find wrong with your new house.

Hope this helps, William

PS: Don't let the dogs back in if you can help it.

Reply to
William.Deans

Good point. An area rug might do wonders. Imagine how pissed the buyers will be when you take that baby with ya.

Dunno if you can do installed wall to wall on such a surface either because there's really no way to deal with the tack strips?

Todd

Reply to
Todd H.

The dogs have moved on to the big dog house in the sky . . .

Reply to
no_junk_mail

Define "terrible" - peeling? Scratched and worn? Ugly color? I would not put a lot of money into a home you are going to sell. If the paint is adhering well, you could clean it well and repaint it. Can do nice effects that immitate tile pretty easily. A new owner in our condo ripped out a brand new Pergo floor in order to install tile. Your buyer can chose the new floor and perhaps take into account in selling price, but you won't gain back what you put into it.

Reply to
Norminn