Paint over wallpaper or re-drywall?

No, that is too extreme. Just lock them in a room with red flocked wallpaper. Now, for the important part of your dilemma. Wash off the paste with plain water; add a little household cleaner if it makes you feel better. Let it dry well. Prime it with drywall primer. Paint. Wallpaper seems complex, judging from the number of posts about it. Rip it off. Saturate the paste. Wash it off. Basic as mud pies.

Reply to
Norminn

Not at all! If the stupid bastard was here in front of me... Arrgh!

I'd flock him within an inch of his life! ...and only stop because he wouldn't feel any more.

Oh, so I didn't have to replace the divots of drywall that the soaking and scraping hollowed out? The missing paper on the drywall isn't of consequence?

As far as primer goes, the first time I used BIN, then painted. that. Withing a few months that cracked like a dropped eggshell. I then was told to use Kilz; better but it still cracked all to hell. I gotta go in and sand and scrape everything down again and repaint. This time I'm just going to paper it over and move before it has a chance to peel again.

...and you don't think I want to KILL the asshole who papered directly over the sheetrock? Please don't get between us!

Reply to
krw

Unpainted sheetrock yes but someone was sharp enough to size the wall before papering. I've seen walls that appeared to be bare because they were sized with transparent products and even diluted wheat paste. But if you mean completely bare with nothing in the form of sizing used before hanging the paper then no I've not had the pleasure to have seen a job done that poorly.

There doesn't have to be any sign of paint on the wall to have been sized and hung properly, some DIYers will paper over paint (not a good idea) but few would hang paper on a bare wall. I'd want to be very sure it was bare before advising to gut the walls and hanging new drywall.

Giving it one good try at removal won't cost much but a little time.

Someone off their meds?

Reply to
jolt

There are soooo many people who post in this newsgroup with their first words words being, "I primed it with Kilz and it all fell off a few months later". I'm beginning to think that that stuff shouldnt be used for anything but taking up space in a land fill. A good PVA primer is all thats needed, and BTW, I'm staying away from Kilz from now on.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

I'd paper over again with a paintable, textured wallpaper, then paint. BTDT and it works. Looks good, too.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I was told to use Kilz by a sheetrock taper, after the BIN failed so miserably.

Reply to
krw

I mean *nothing*. What a mess.

Well, there is little paper on the sheetrock anymore. At first I thought there was a skim-coat of mud on the wall. Nope, that was the drywall. Most of the sheetrock paper came off with the wallpaper.

I've spent *hours* on it already. All the paper is off (and has been for a year). I mean *all* the paper. :-(

NO, I should have taken something before stating that job though. What a PITA that's been!

Reply to
krw