paint calculation

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin Williams said I need to calculate

1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.
Reply to
mazaltov

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin Williams said I need to calculate 1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Reply to
mazaltov

Sounds about right. Most paint companies recommend 350 to 400 sq ft per gallon. Depending on condition, colors, etc, you may need two coats. The second usually give better coverage of a larger area.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, 400sf seems to be a standard number for paint. My own experience is less than 400sf coverage with an airless setup. If it was me, I would budget for 200sf and hope to get close to 400sf.

Reply to
** Frank **

Never believe anyone in a professional paint store such as SW. Always believe someone in a big box store.

Plan your budget? You bozo, it's going to cost, whatever it does.

Besides, I don't know how you "pain" a house, and as far as it being a "bug house", you would be better off calling an exterminator.

Reply to
Kirk R.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius, or what?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

People even get second opinions from doctors. Sometimes it is a good insurance policy.

He just bought a house. Maybe it is his first and he is overextended. Perhaps he has a certain amount of money he is willing to spend without having to sell more stock, etc and wants to make sure he has the cash on hand before he begins the project. Perhaps if it costs too much he wouldn't do it at all. Why is budgeting stupid? Even if he had no reason to know at all ... what if he just wants to know?

Then why are you giving advice on paining a house?

Do you use a dvorak? On the qwrety 'i' is located immediately beside the 'u'. The op clearly meant big and you trying hard not to understand him doesn't help ... at all ... just turns new people off to newsgroups.

=====================

To answer the question posted. I always purchase based on 300 ft^2 per gallon for rolled WALLS if the side of the can says 400 ft^2. I do not subtract out windows, doors, etc when calculating wall area.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

No. 400 square feet/gallon is *very* optomistic. 300 is more like it.

For 2800 sf, figure two five-gallon buckets per coat. It's usually cheaper to buy one five-gallon bucket than five one-gallon cans -- and it may be cheaper than buying *four* one-gallon cans.

Reply to
Doug Miller

400 sf? I've never used paint that was labelled for more than 200 sf. Read the label and plan for at least 20% less coverage. It depends on the surface and your painting technique. You also don't want to be down to your last quart before you buy more .. if it is a mixed color, should pour a newly opened gal. into the last quart of the previous and mix them to keep any variation of color from being obvious.

It is easy to check .. SW website has all the scoop. Surprise ..tne paint I checked says 250-300 sf, the other 350-400.

Norminn

You need to start using a better grade of paint.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Paint is good. Memory isn't :o) I just checked the can for some interior paint, BM Impervo; covers a lot more than 400

Reply to
Norminn

Not arguing with you, just my past observation. No pro, but I've never painted a house, even one much smaller, with 10 gallons or less. Just a rough guess on the surface area; ceiling being 2,800sf and walls perhaps twice the ceiling area or 5,600sf. For a total area of 8,400sf and a coverage of 300sf/gal we need 28 gallons. Who knows, without knowing the variables like number of rooms and wall heights or he only paint the walls and not the ceiling, the real answer could be between 10 and 28 gallons.

I always wanted to buy 5 gallon cans but many of times the single gallon is on sale and the 5 gallon is not so its cheaper to get the single gallon cans.

Reply to
** Frank **

Ahhhhh geez man, lighten up, you old fart.

Reply to
Kirk R.

When we painted the inside of our home, we used Lowes online paint calculator. We had 4 different colors plus trim and a little primer. When all was said and done we ended up as we expected, didn't have to go back and get more paint, and there is a little left sitting in the garage (for all 4 colors) for touch ups (I have kids). I plan on using one of those calculators for the outside of the house next spring.

John

Reply to
runsrealfast

I've painted a lot. Coverage depends on a lot of things. Is it primed? Is it already painted? Are the colors similar, or are you painting something black white? Or vice versa? What kind of roller are you using? Are you spraying? How heavy are you putting it on? What kind of stipple do you want? How good do you want it to look?

I have always found the 400 sf claims to be optimistic, and attainable only if you put one THIN coat. Even then, you get some bleedthrough of the original color due to the coat of paint's thinness, or things leaching through the new paint.

I would say 200-300 sf for figuring coverage. If it's just a stock color, like Navajo white, you can take back what you don't use.

You never know the actual coverage until you're done and do the math. And then, it's different for every job.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well, now that I read your post, I think I misread the original -- I read

2800sf as the *wall* area, but that's probably not a correct interpretation.

To the OP: figure the total area you're going to paint. Assume one gallon will cover about 300 to 350 square feet, for one coat. Buy your paint accordingly.

Frequently, if you ask, you can get a 5-gallon pail at 5x the one-gallon price.

Reply to
Doug Miller