Oven Electrical Question

I am replacing my built in oven/microwave combo with a separate thermal oven and a microwave. The oven will take 220 V, the Microwave is a plug-in (built-in) above the oven and requires 110V.

Can I extract 110 V for the MW from the 220 V junction box (line to 220V thermal oven )? The 220 V line has a 40 Amp Circuit- breaker.

This house is 25 years old. I cannot tell if 3 or 4 wires go from the main panel to the junction box.

Reply to
Walter R.

No, you'll need to run a dedicated circuit for the microwave

Reply to
RBM
25 years old is probably 3 wire. That makes the idea impossible, even if you were willing to put in a load center.

It would be a bad idea in any event.

Reply to
Toller

Possibly...

.. but you need to find that out first. With 3 wires, it's impossible to do it safely and legally (you need, but don't have, a neutral). With 4 wires, it's merely impractical.

Here's the problem you run into with four wires: the microwave almost certainly is intended to plug into a 15A (or maybe 20A) 120V circuit, but your existing wiring is likely 8-gauge. 120V receptacles aren't rated for wires that large, and cannot grip them securely, so you'll have to have 12- or

14-gauge wires going to the receptacle for the microwave -- but it's a Code violation to put anything smaller than 8-ga on the 40A circuit that you now have.
Reply to
Doug Miller

OK. Thanks. Back to the drawing board.

Reply to
Walter R.

Your question indicates your lack of electrical knowledge. In lieu of a fire or possible fatal shock, CALL A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN!

Reply to
Thomas Avery