OT: What is this white powder?

Before I retired, I made frequent business trips to some pretty remote locations, I kept a few small containers (plastic 35mm film cans) in my Dopp kit with first aid/medicine chest powders I might need while on site with no local access to a drug store.

I usually labeled the containers. But I found an unlabeled one in the back of a bathroom cabinet drawer filled with white powder. I can't identify which of the following-- that I used to tote-- it is:

Corn starch, cornstarch with powdered zinc oxide, talcum powder, boric acid powder, ammonium alum styptic powder, or foot powder.

It doesn't have any discernible odor and I definitely don't want to touch a little to the tip of my tongue.

I was going to just chuck it out-- but agot tom wondering if there are any chemists on board who know a way to identify it.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

A drop of iodine would identify the cornstarch. Boric acid will dissolve in methanol and burn green. A drop of HCL helps.

Reply to
rbowman

On TV, the police always do that.

I certainly can't answer your question, but I'll tell you a story. I don't like to take pills but still, when I'm out in case my back hurts, in the car I have their smallest bottle of Aleve, but maybe that's not the best so since I don't want to carry several bottles, I add a couple aspirin and maybe a couple tylenol and a couple no-doz. And then 3 months later, I don't what they are.

OTOH, if you're stopped by the police it helps if they're in the original bottle, but some pills came in a big bottle, and I need the bottle at home anyhow.

I was able to match all but 2 of my uninidentified pills using Google images.

Reply to
micky

Talcum powder is very light and feel very slippery when rubbed between the fingers, and it is not soluble in water.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I probably could identify it but would probably toss it as none of these are expensive.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yeah, that's probably the safest option. So much for my grand science experiment...

Reply to
Wade Garrett