OT: Obnoxious Popups

Seems like the websites of the local TV stations in my area have gone hog-wild and pig-crazy with popups and popovers. They cover up half or two-thirds of the screen.

Distracting as all get-out-- not to mention annoying-- when you're trying to read a news story.

Just me-- or you too?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It is annoying but I do not have a big problem perhaps using Firefox browser with ad block plus add-on:

Some sites will object to you using it and require turning it off if you really want to go there but not a bother.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't bother with television news, either on TV or online. The electronic edition of my local newspaper doesn't have excessive popups, as far as I can tell.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Besides that, if there are too many obnoxious ads, I just stop going to that website.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, would not be without it. Works well and tell you how many it blocked. I'm at 156,000.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I might have to try that ... thanks for the recommendation. There are 2 web sites for mid-western Ontario <local> news & events ... both have become rife with annoying little pop-up windows with multi-media crap ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

I don't see any on the local tv station websites. There is a split in the paragraphs with the word "advertisement" in places. Often, there is a popup on YouTube. It's an advertising video with a countdown clock. One can hit the skip ad note which is usually 15 seconds into the ad. MacBook Air using Firefox. 96.0.3

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Are you a paid subscriber???

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

When I'm trying to read a news site, and it complains about an ad blocker I DON'T turn it off, I turn off JavaScript. That usually allows reading. Videos often don't work (probably it's "corporate paranoia", but text is OK.

I use Firefox, with an extension called "JavaScript Toggle On And Off". This means one click to disable JS.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I am not at 301,559. Some of that is that I seldom turn it off, since it usually (at least for most text sites) it works better to turn off JavaScript.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not tv stations yet. I only look at them sometimes. But an online newspaper has up to 4 of them.

And HP has two, all the time, for every tab even if I X'd it for the first tab. It's like I'm a shopper that needs to be advertised too, instead of someone who already owns their product and knows what he wants to find on their website. Even new visitors know what they want at a support page. I was so annoyed, I wrote them a year ago but it hasn't changed. I actually avoid them becuase of this.

The Golden Age of the web may be ending, already.

Reply to
micky

They're free- no subscriptions needed/offered.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Hi Wade.

I ***D-I-S-P-I-S-E*** ads with a red hot passion.

Install an ad blocker. My favorite is "ublock orgin" as it can not be bribed around letting some ads to appear.

Note: Chrome is trying to get around ad blockers.

Or even better yet, install Brave Browser. It has automatic ad blocking, does not spy on you, uses the "Blink" rendering engine (as goes Chrome) meaning it is very compatible with most web sites, and it is considers "grandparent safe". And it is fast.

When I set up a new computer for someone, I install both Firefox and Brave. If one does not work right, use the other. The days of a single web browser are over.

-T

The web use to be for information gathering. Now the user is the product. The information being gathered is on you.

Brave Browser has a "Private Windows with TOR" option that I adore.

Tor browser itself stopped working when I upgraded from Fedora 34 to 35

Doesnt work very well with cites.

Reply to
Kemle

I have a vested interest in local news. How else will I find out where the murders are?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Those- and live coverage of big apartment fires...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It was about 50% a joke. We average about one a month. I recall one incident during the COVID lockdown where some young fellow shot his roommate.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...