OT: My Ride Turned Into a Pumpkin Today

I would have taken it if offered standard. The way they package stuff today often makes it necessary to buy a package with something you do not want e.g. a sun roof.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I'll buy a new car when they come out with that feature.

Reply to
Bob

Yea, too bad I could not order my Camry the way I wanted it. Not sure about other companies if you can order custom things or just have to take a package. In 1972 I was able to order a car with many things the way I wanted it.

The 2017 Camry could only be had with leather seats (which I really hate) if you get a 6 cylinder, or so I was told. Also had to have that silly 'moon roof'. So had to take it that way.

I looked at Honda, but seem like most of their engines had turbo chargers on the 4 cylinders and no 6 cylinders in the size I was looking at. I will not have a turbo unless all companies I like go that way.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Back in the old days you would order the car you wanted with options but then wait at least a month to have it built. I also recall when getting the car the salesman said to make a list of all the things wrong with it and bring it back in a week and we'll fix it. Times have changed.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

He doesn’t.

Or using uber etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

For any trip less than four or five hours of driving (250 miles) it doesn't make sense to fly, since you'll spend about that much time getting to the airport, jacking around with security, et freaking cetera. In the U.S.,

250 miles doesn't always get you out of the state you were born in.

Our last road trip, we drove 250 miles, went to a funeral, got back in the car, and drove home.

Uber isn't available everywhere, and I for one prefer the autonomy of having my own car.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I've found if it's just one person travelling taking the train or flying is often cheaper when over 500 miles, but for 2 or more driving is cheaper even for 1200. Even paying for a hotel for one night either direction.

Flying isn't cheap in Canada. Nor is train. ANd I like seeing the country when I take a trip. Don't see much from 30,000 feet. We have an airport 15km from home that has limitted service - OK if flying to Calgary but few other connections - and Toronto, Hamilton, or London are all about 100Km - Buffalo or Detroit more than douible that - so driving is going to be involved anyway.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Even sitting beside twiggy it's a tight fit - and my legs are too long to get comfortable

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ah, Canadian train travel. I've done it a few times from Windsor to Toronto. It was pleasant, and Toronto has excellent public transportation so we didn't miss our car.

In order to get from Detroit to Cincinnati on Amtrak, we would have to go through Chicago, taking from 12 to 21 hours versus a 4-hour drive. A complete nonstarter. Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not as bad as Rome or Mexico City, but if you don't HAVE to drive in Hogtown, consider yourself lucky - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

As I have stated, I fly when it is *viable*, I drive when it is not. Most times it is not viable both on a cost and a convenience factor, as is the case with my trip on Wednesday and my trip in December.

Reply to
Xeno

Indeed. The local airport doesn't link well to Brisbane. There are flights but by business class flights only. The 400k each way drive makes a lot of sense. I have driven 300k to Coolangatta and taken a 2.5 hour interstate flight from there because the economics favoured it and it eliminated an overnight trip on a car ferry.

The transport at the other end is why I will be driving to Melbourne next month. Flights for that time of year are horrendously expensive and paying for local transport for three people in Melbourne just blows the economics out of the water.

Reply to
Xeno

I do! 400 km to Brisbane, 550 to Sydney. No international flights out of here. It's an expensive extra leg from here when traveling international out of Sydney or Brisbane. When an international visitor wanted to visit us after an initial landing at Melbourne, the cheapest ticketing round trip price she could get was $1,000. I told her to look at Melb-Coolangatta and she found a ticket price of $90 each way. I just went, with my dog for company, for a 300km drive each way and picked her up.

Costs Rod, costs.

Reply to
Xeno

21 miles was sufficient to get me out of the state I was born in... That said, I have no desire to ever fly again in anything bigger than a Maule.
Reply to
rbowman

I used to enjoy trains, but now I'd have to drive about 110 miles to get on one. Unless I hop one of the freights that go through here that is. We have a perfectly fine terminal but it's like those cargo cult abos that built a fake airport hoping a plane would come. Amtrak ain't biting.

Reply to
rbowman

Like hell you do.

Those arent the only airports with any connections.

But the airport does have connections to those that do.

But there is a connection.

But you didn’t have to do that because there was no connection.

Nothing like the cost of the petrol for the car trip.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When I was in Ft Wayne I'd sometimes take the train up to Chicago and catch the return run in the evening. Four or five hours of Chicago is enough for me. The train from Albany to NYC was really quite nice in the '80s after hitting rock bottom in the early '70s.

Reply to
rbowman

I didn't mind it, but that was in the early '70s. Cabbagetown otoh... I understand that's be gentrified.

Reply to
rbowman

I mentioned *international*. I mentioned that for a reason.

I mentioned *international*. I mentioned that for a reason. Also; Expensive connection! What was I saying about the *economics* of driving?

Expensive connection! What was I saying about the *economics* of driving?

Expensive connection! What was I saying about the *economics* of driving?

I drive a small car. Petrol costs are *minimal*.

Reply to
Xeno

But he didn’t restrict his comment to international and your original didn’t involve international for you.

Pity it was just more goalpost shifting when your nose was rubbed in how stupid your claim is.

Just the usual shit you always come up with when your nose has been rubbed in the fact that its shit.

I was commenting on HIS comment.

Still more than uber with that stupid distance.

Reply to
Rod Speed