OT: Home Repair Puzzle

I thought some of the folks on this list might like to figure this one out. The solution will be published on the Car Talk website later today (8/24). I think I know the answer, which may have applications in real life some day.

The Kitchen Carpentry Cure

RAY: This puzzler was sent "My friend had purchased a piece of slate to put into the floor in the hearth in front of his fireplace. The slate was 3/4 of an inch thick, by 10 inches wide, by 48 inches long, and weighed on the order of 175 pounds. He had cut a hole in the oak floor that was the same size as the piece of slate."

TOM: He had to plunk it right there, and get his fingers out of the way as fast as possible!

RAY: "The depth of the hole was exactly 3/4 of an inch, the same as the slate. And, of course, there was the sub-floor underneath. When he put one end of the slate into the hole in the floor, he realized that he would have to drop the other end to get the slate into the hole. He realized that if he dropped the brittle slate, even half an inch, it would break.

Not only that, but it wouldn't go in the hole, anyway. There was so little clearance that he couldn't even use that thin fishing line to lower the end of the slate. So he sat there for the longest time, drinking beers and pondering this dilemma.

After his 5th or 6th trip to the kitchen he returned with something that solved the problem in elegant fashion."

What did he find there that allowed him to lower the slate into the hole without risk of breaking it?

Reply to
Pavel314

Ice cubes

Reply to
Newsreader

Imagination! Creativity! Excellence! Craftsmanship. Utility; Brilliance.... Endurance.... Service.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He found the doorway to the basement so he could get at the slate from underneath.

Reply to
PatM

A sheet of ice, or even ice cubes, *might* work, assuming the ice could be caused to melt perfectly evenly. If it doesn't melt evenly, then one end/side is going to settle in first, tilting the slab and the opposite side won't slip in - regardless of what Click and Clack may tell us.

Construct a frame to hang the slab from and support it from the top with suction cups, temporary adhesives, whatever, and lower it straight down into the hole.

Or do it right and cut the hole bigger, center the slab and back cut some hardwood for a border which will slip right in alongside the slab.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

BTW...read last week's puzzler & answer and you'll find that sometimes the answers are questionable at best.

I guess the cop (as well as Click and Clack) have never heard of a tow truck.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The he is installing it wrong. There needs to be some room for expansion or the wood flooring is going to buckle, Actually I believe this post is just some contrived BS.

Jimmie.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Lower slate into space using plastic wrap, then trim off the excess around edge with a razor blade or sharp kitchen/utility knife.

Reply to
stan

Lower slate into space using plastic wrap, then trim off the excess around edge with a razor blade or sharp kitchen/utility knife.

A chunk of rock weighing 175 lbs. is going to be supported by several mills of saran wrap? I think that would not work too well.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

re: Actually I believe this post is just some contrived BS.

And I believe you haven't visited:

DerbyDad03

Same thing here as it is there. Couldn't get a fishing line in means clearances in the few hundredths of an inch range and slab and hole are both perfectly the same shape. Sorry but this sets my BS detector off.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You said you believed that the *post* was contrived BS.

That's different than saying the *Puzzler* was contrived BS, thus my inclusion of the URL to the puzzler.

P.S. Similiar to your every day riddles, the Car Talk Puzzlers are about the solution, not about the question. Read some of the other Car Talk Puzzlers and you'll probably believe that most of them are "contrived BS" since most of them probably are. That's not the point - the point is having some fun trying to solve them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My guess would be "ice". Put it under the slab and it will melt and slowly lower it into the hole.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have a big suction cup for glass work and it will hold up quite a bit of weight but the item came from the kitchen and that's not where I keep my glass cup. Ice seem to be the most reasonable answer.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ice is possible, but as I said earlier it would have to melt perfectly evenly or the slab will hang up one edge or another.

And then there's the issue of the subfloor swelling from the moisture and possibly lifting the slab.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

joevan wrote: TDD- Hide quoted text -

I was just about to suggest that as well, but I figured the average beer drinker's fridg wouldn't have dry ice in it. Sure would eliminate the water related problems.

Reply to
Newsreader

How about dry ice?

Reply to
joevan

If it's the same stuff they use to bubble-wrap Christmas toys, it damn sure will.

Reply to
HeyBub

A shop vac and a heat lamp or even a fan could take care of that.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not many folks have a supply of dry ice in their kitchen but that's a terrific idea if preplanned. That would be on my list if I ever came across a job like that. We have a very good CO2/dry ice supplier right here in town.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas