OT HIghway Patrol cars

Diesel! vs Durcell :^)

Reply to
RonB

Several of the PDs around here love those 'subdued marking' cars. Gray or black, with the sorta-retro-reflective dark side stripes and logos that DO show up in headlights (like while they are barreling through an intersection), but awful hard to see in daylight traffic.

Of course, around here, nobody but the cops and cab companies drive Crown Vics (and yes, the cabs are old cop cars), so anytime you see those distinctive headlights, time to slow down and drive like an old lady.

Reply to
aemeijers

They never do that on Highway Patrol. Apparently even the murderers were more compliant in those days.

Reply to
mm

Back when I was in college there was a guy who told me about his mother's Chrysler station wagon a 1968 I think that was special ordered with a 426 Hemi V8, bucket seats, floor shifter for the

727 automatic and I'm not sure about the rear end ratio but the fellow would take his mom's wagon to the drag strip on the week ends and eat all the stock vehicles alive without breathing hard. Don't you just love sleepers? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Where are you finding these reruns?? They don't seem to be on DVD or on Directv.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

They are on This TV, which in Baltimore is OTA 45.2. I'm positive that it's on in some other cities, but my browser has figured out that I live in Baltimore and that's all it tells me about.

Oh, no wonder. Enntering
redirects to
Surely that's not true everywher in the US. It's on in San Francisco and LA!

Clicking on

, the link for SF, redirects to Baltimore, but clicking on the google cached version doesn't!

But I still havent' found a list of cities or tv stations.

IT also has Seahunt, the Patty Duke Show and, which I never liked, Mr. Ed. Starting about 5AM. At 4AM is the Outer Limits which I also never liked. The rest of the day it has movies, what they call movies with famous actors before they got famous. Some are very good, some are actually famous themselves, many are 70's horror movies, especially Saturday night, and the rest are okay.

For programs from the same period, there is also RTV, Retro TV, which I could get from DC OTA on 7.3 for a couple years. Now ironically I can get it through the digital to analog converter which is connected to the VCR, which has a manual A/B switch connecting it to my central distribution point. With an antenna that is just a 5 foot piece of single strand wire lying on the floor of the second floor. But I can't get it with the 3-year old digital-tuner Philips DVDR connected to a pretty big antenna with an antennal amp in the attic. I have to fix that. I have the wrong remote for the VCR and can only record at the fastest, most tape-consuming rate. 2 hours on an 6 or 8 hour cassette, so I haven't been recording the shows on 7.3.

Reply to
mm

I would like to see those. IIRC, they were based in Nevada in the script. One time, they had an episode in Goldfield, which isn't the end of the road, but you can see it from there.

Now that decades have changed things, I'd like to see if I see any recognizable landmarks. What is the name of the network?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm waiting for the reruns of Amos and Andy. I watched them as a kid, and they were just funny. Probably too funny by today's standards................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The show was written to take place in an unspecified western state, and there were episodes that dealt with patrolling near the Mexican border.

That's the fun part of watching the show now. Much of it was shot in and near rural areas of Los Angeles, which aren't rural anymore. The first season is available on Hulu. It airs at 2:00 am Pacific on This TV

a digital subchannel in many cities that may not appear on cable. See also
for more information.

Reply to
Bob

The actors were brilliant performing in what amounted to morality plays. The wonderful shows are not considered politically correct by guilt ridden Caucasians apologists but the funny thing is the fact that my darker cousins would probably love the shows if they were given a chance to see them. It's like the same politically correct bunch won't show the Speedy Gonzales cartoons because they believe it will offend Hispanics. Funny thing about the cartoons, the Hispanics love them. I found many of the Amos N Andy episodes at:

If anyone is interested? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This one took me to LasVegas too. Now if they would only give a list of cities, we would be in good shape. Googling Thistv Baltimore Las Vegas Los Angeles San Francisco might work.

It gave a Feb 7 article from business week

It says KOB is adding thistv but doesn't say where KOB is! Clicking on More, it is Albuquerque, Santa Fe and central New Mexico but it has no list of other thistv stations.

This is ridiculous!

Reply to
mm

Not quite at that level of speed, but for several years (until rust got it) I had a 78 Ford Fairmont 'fleet special' wagon with a 302 in it. Same Fox platform and underpinnings as a Mustang, so it was basically a Mustang 5.0 station wagon. Embarrassed more than one person who assumed it had the usual anemic straight-6 in it. One of the few cars I ever owned that I still miss.

Reply to
aemeijers

You just reminded me of the scariest car I ever drove. My late brother in law had a car belonging to his father which was a 302 Ford Maverick. It wasn't tricked out or anything like that, it was a common basic salesman car with a manual 3 speed on the column an no fancy suspension or performance parts or tires. It was so overpowered that it would burn the skinny little stock tires for a block and it handled like a brick which made it terrifying to drive. It could swap ends if you gave it a little too much gas, DANG, that was a fun car! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Try Hulu.com They had all of the Highway Patrol shows along with a lot of other old shows (Sea Hunt etc) It was enough to get me to hook an old PC up to my big screen. Now I also use it for Netflix.

Reply to
gfretwell

You shuda tried a V-8 Gremlin. I had a six-banger and it was unstable enough. Driving the thing in snow resembled playing Carroms.

Reply to
krw

mm posted for all of us...

What network was this on? I watched that show and have never seen reruns. There is a web site.., Remember - low bidder gets the job. We buy pursuit rated cars, which some are not. Ford says they are going to be making police cars (which they say every year) but I have seen the new Ford police car brochure and no Crown Vics were in it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ahh!! The squealing rayon bias-ply tires and the tube superheterodyne two way radios.

10-4
Reply to
Kuskokwim

I learned to scuba dive from the same guy that taught Lloyd Bridges. Lloyd could not dive at the beginning of the series.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The beloved P71 CV is gone. Panther platform was just too damn old to keep updating any more- current gen dates from early 90s. and it was only an update of the previous one that goes back a decade before that. I think Checker, real VW bug, and maybe a couple others had models with longer production lives, but Panther CV is right up there.

Reply to
aemeijers