OT Having a drink at home

OT

IN the movies from the 40's to the 70's**, when the man comes home from work, or comes home from anywhere, he goes to a bar or a shelf and there waiting for him are bottles of liquor, glases, and sometimes an ice bucket. Did wives really set things up like that, with new ice in time for their man to get home.

**I haven't seen many movies newer than that, at least not about everyday people.

Or if not ice, there's at least one bottle and one glass so he doesn't have to waste time bending down or looking for what to drink. And if no bar, it sits on a shelf or a cabinet top.

Did people really live that way, or is it a dramatic device, meant to not waste much screen time but to say that he needed a drink .

Do any of you keep a liquor bottle and glass handy for when you come home?

Do any of you, or when you were working did you, have an alchoholic drink when you get home?

Reply to
micky

I do have them fairly handy but no one in my family had a drink walking in the door like the movies.

I have a G&T or wine with dinner. On Mondays I do to my son's house for dinner and we have a drink before and wine with.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Somehow I forgot that my father used to have a drink when he got home from work. I was 8, too young to remember, but my mother said so. I don't even remember where he would have kept the glass, bottle, etc. We did not have a bar, or even a shelf. There was a buffet in the dining room.

Reply to
micky

On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 9:41:16 PM UTC-5, micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

I like that Coconut Liqueurs (by 99, I think). Its very aromatic. It goes great with most any kind of soda.

Reply to
Transition Zone

Why wait until you get home?

The glove compartment isn't just for gloves.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I'm sure a fine upstanding citizen like you wouldn't break the law by drinking in a vehicle on a public roadway.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The *law* is your biggest concern in this situation?

At best, I'd put breaking the law in third place.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Unless you are the supervising driver.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Where is here?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

You've been here long enough to know that speedy hails from down under.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Right...and from I've found, AU (or parts thereof) have (had?) a specific caveat regarding the supervising driver and drinking alcohol/open vessels.

That's why I was wondering where "here" is.

"Learner drivers also need to be aware their supervising driver must not be drinking alcohol, and must have a blood alcohol concentration of zero in South Australia, or 0.05 in NSW, Victoria, Queensland and WA."

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Fuck you.

No shit, Sherlock.

The Guide for Supervising Drivers put out by vic.gov.au does.

Never said it was.

Never said it didn't.

Stop changing the subject.

Marilyn Manson

Until you stop changing the subject matter of my comments, you can just f*ck off. Never once did I mention anything about a driving *instructor*.

Don't you know the difference between a "supervising driver" and a "driving instructor"?

Look it the f*ck up.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Which is specifically why I asked you 'Where is "here"?' f****it.

I wrote that "AU (or parts thereof) have a specific caveat regarding the supervising driver and drinking alcohol..."

Knowing which "parts thereof" you are calling "here" makes all the difference in what laws apply.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Are you so f'ing dumb that you don't know that they are two different things? Look it the f*ck up.

If you need me to post the link to the au.gov site that explains, in no uncertain terms, what the difference is, just ask nicely. Otherwise step away from the keyboard and stop trying to play with the big boys.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

There is a reason most of us have Roddy in the kill file.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And there you have it folks...when a troll is beat, he changes his tune and makes believe he never said what we all know he said. The common ploy of troll that knows he's been bested. If it wasn't so predictable it would be funny.

Just a few hours ago Rod The Slow Speed Troll says "Just a different term for the same individual". The *same individual*. Now he twists what he said and adds pathetic qualifiers because he's too much of wimp to simply admit when he's wrong.

I really wish this was more challenging, but he makes it just so easy.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Like you just did?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And you are so f****ng stupid that you can't even manage to work out when its still me.

Reply to
5tft

You can snip all the evidence you want. It doesn't change the facts.

You are wrong and you are a loser. However, you are fun to play with. Thank you for providing the opportunity.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson