OT: Gas mix in outboard incorrect, not enough oil?, how long to ruin the engine?

Which is what I eluded to long ago in this post.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Which kinda makes one wonder where the rentee got the gas from. The marina I once worked at was the only source, so wasn't an issue. Other vendors would probably be likewise savvy and unless they purposely wanted to screw the original renter, why would they allow a rentee to use straight gas. Frankly, I think the whole story is bogus.

nb

Reply to
notbob

There will be a sticker or placard on the engine and/or gas tank that specifies the required mixture ratio.

Ask your son/daughter specifically what they did regarding fueling the boat over the course of the week, write it down, and repeat it here. That information is very pertinent and important to this discussion. Without it, you may as well be admitting guilt.

Reply to
mkirsch1

The check is in the mail. Just took one more strongly worded email, with cites of the state statutes for returning security deposits.

Reply to
Norminn

They're not very smart including a boat usage. Boats are really easy to damage, The "next" renter could have just as easily forgot the oil themselves. Around here any decent sized boat rental costs $150 to $200 a day.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

$500 is a lot better than just letting it sit at the dock. Well, until recently, anyway :o)

Reply to
Norminn

A brand new outboard suitable for a pontoon will start around 4 or 5 grand and go up. And sizeable used one is worth 2 grand or more. There are outboards that cost over $10k, admittedly too big for most pontoons. So how's their $500 looking now?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yah, let's guess at it! How about a fresh mix if you're not sure?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

clipped

Expensive. I did some google shopping yesterday and saw what I believe are similar engines for $14-1700. If I can make up the cost of property by renting it out for three weeks, I would consider it a hell of a deal. I don't give a rats ass what it cost THEM - they screwed themselves by not passing along important info to their renters* and then tried to screw us. We were very careful and respectful in our use of all of their property, at all times.

*They mentioned nothing about a gas mix to us, so I assume the next renter got the same. If they aren't informed enough to pass along that information to a tenant, then they learned an expensive lesson. All in my family who operated the boat are experienced boaters, so all the more careful with their boat.
Reply to
Norminn

I don't think you know what you are shopping for unless the pontoon had a very small engine. Or you were looking at used.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

He was most definitely looking at used. If the engine required premix it most definitely was NOT new - so why would a renter be liable for the cost of a NEW engine?? ANd if you are renting a boat and motor for the price the OP was renting, the owner would NOT be providing a new engine.

Reply to
clare