OT Credit card charging

On 12/27/16 12:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes and no. The problem in low balance situations where the debit card is tied to your checking account is that you can get authorization for it one minute and the next minute a check arrives that you didn't take into account. The hold from the card means you don't have enough money to pay the check and it bounces. >
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 07:52:45 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

Yes, that sort of thing. And they arrange it like this intentionally to get the bounce fee charge. Who knows when the gas station sent the final charge amount. Maybe it was indeed 10 minutes later, but they hold off reporting it for two days in order to get bounce check fees. (Even though I still had 3000 in the account.)
I had/have an account at Bank of America and I was furious when I saw how they reordered checks that came in on the same day but not at the same time. They would pay the biggest ones first, maximizing the number of checks not yet paid when the account was empty, so they could maximize the number of bounced check fees they could charge. They could have done the opposite to minimize the number, or they could just pay them in the order they come in. I consider what they did outright theft.
So I had occasion to open an account at the cowboy bank, Wells Fargo. And I told them why I didn't like BOA and we laughed about it. A year later I see in the paper that Wells Fargo was caught doing the same thing, and they hadn't stopped when BOA was caught. And then a year or two after that there is WF opening phony accounts so they can make extra charges! What thieves.
There used to be honor in being a banker, but as a whole, they've ruined that.
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 6:52:53 AM UTC-6, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

My debit card has the ability to authorize payment if you don't have enough cash in your checking account. This is tied to a savings account but you are charged a 'convenience fee' for this feature which I *think* is $12.50.
On 12/27/2016 6:50 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I eliminated that. I'd rather be denied than spend an extra $12.50.
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 8:28:52 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, mine has the ability to deny or accept. Thankfully it's not an included feature that I cannot control.

Some banks provide overdraft protection at no extra cost on some accounts. They likely pay a little less interest on your deposit, but when is the last time you got any reasonable interest on a bank account???
On 12/27/2016 11:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, I made 30 cents on my savings last month. I've ot looked into it for some time, but in the past you could link accounts and they would do an automatic transfer from savings to checking for a nominal fee.

When the difference between saving and interest checking is about a quarter of a percent, it is worth keeping several thousand in your checking, just so you do not have to worry about crap like this.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:50:08 -0800 (PST),

They offered me somthing like that at BOA but I was afraid I'd use it by accident if I had it.
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 07:52:45 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

Anyone with a debit card on a chequing account who doesn't have overdraft protection is setting themselves up for a pile of grief.
On 12/27/2016 10:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

Since you HAVE to spend money you don't have?
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 19:35:26 -0600, Sam E

No, but an overdraft gets EXPENSIVE
On 12/27/2016 12:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We were going to send them to the out of state grandkids for Xmas, but they charge $5 for a $50 card. They were happy with Amazon cards.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:57:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski

That's ridiculous. I was going to give a gift certificate for a sports ticket service once, and they *charged* for the gift certificate. It was too late for me to get anything else, but I never did that again.
About 30 years ago. Ticketron?

Ticketron charges you a service fee to sell you a ticket too.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 23:55:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly. I knew that and accepted that, but to then charge for the right to get charged was too much.
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 4:57:07 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You have to look carefully at all the fees and charges with any of those gift cards, prepaid debit cards, etc. Like you say, typically they hit you with an upfront fee right off the bat. Then some charge a monthly sevice fee of a couple bucks, whether you use it or not. They also charge for some transactions, eg at ATMs, etc. STore gift cards like HD, etc typically are good for the full amount and don't charge extra fees, but I'd be careful looking at them too.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:03:19 -0800 (PST), trader_4

BabiesRUs seemed to tell me that there were no hidden costs. It was a present and they probably spent it all the first day, considering how much babies cost, but I didn't want it sitting in their wallet getting smaller and smaller.

Here in Canada you can sometimes buy a $50 card for $45
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 23:49:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Publix will sell you a $50 Visa card for $40 on a special now and then but they still tack on $5 for processing so it is $45. That may be what you are seeing A much better deal is the $50 Shell gas card for $40 and no fee. It os pretty much the only way I buy gas. I get a gas card every time I am in the store when the deal is on. It is a far better return on investment than anything else I do. (25% immediately or as soon as I need gas)