OT cooking hard boiled eggs

I found a great way to cook hard boiled eggs that peel easy by accident.

I forgot to put the eggs in the water before it boiled, so I tossed the cold eggs in the hot water and cooked as usual. the result eggs that peeled great!

My girlfriend didn't believe me and tried it herself with the same results!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

"wayne" wrote

Dude! You're not supposed to toss your girlfriend in hot water! Of course she will peel.

Reply to
Gable

Another tip: How can you tell the difference between a (well) boiled egg and a raw one? Answer: Hard boiled eggs spin like a top - raw eggs wobble about twice and tip over.

Soft-boiled eggs are somewhere in between (I guess).

Reply to
JerryMouse

Gadzooks! This will change our world as we know it! :)

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

This is Turtle.

Secret time here. Put the eggs in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 weeks before boiling them and all of them peal very good. Fresh eggs never peal good at all or in your case they might.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"JerryMouse" wrote

I thought those were Weebles?

(Boy, am I aging myself)

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Were they HER eggs????

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

OK, straight man, why would you want to cook a hard boiled egg? Is this something like a hot water heater?

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

I tried your idea It Worked , Thanks. I put mine in the frige after they cooled down and they are better. What a pain in the A trying to peel a non peelable Egg

Reply to
m Ransley

If you have an ice maker (or don't mind refilling a couple of trays for the purpose of your eggs ) then the best thing you can do with them is plunge immediately into a bowl full of ice when they come out of the boiling water. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs, but let them do the work and meld down some ice by cooling rapidly.

Makes them...

...easier to peel, PLUS accomplishes a key factor in cooking eggs, potatoes, pasta: You need to *stop the cooking process* when you want to. People wonder why their potatoes get mushy or their noodles soggy, and it's because they let them sit there in their own heat, they keep cooking. No more green eggs (assuming you took them off soon enough in the first place.)

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

My mom's recipe for hard cooked eggs:

- have eggs at room temperature

- put eggs in saucepan, cover with tepid water, put cover on saucepan

- cook on low heat until water boils

- boil for 3 minutes

- let eggs sit in hot water for 20 minutes, leaving cover on pan

- plunge in cold water, let cool.

They peel easily, and there's no green stuff.

(OK, I know this is not alt.home.recipes but I couldn't resist!)

Sara

Reply to
Sara

My recipe for HBE:

Put eggs out of refrigerator in cold water. Bring to a boil then simmer 20 minutes.

Pour put hot water and refill the pan with cold water. Keep it running, just a trickle, and peel the eggs under it. The shell and skin will come off like a glove.

Eat the eggs. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

When I first boiled eggs that is how I did it. But after I married, I found my wife would put the eggs in the water bring to boil and shut off the heat and let them sit 20 min with the cover on. She had more under cooked eggs in one dozen than I have had all my life. I still tease her that I cook a better egg than she. Of course that means I have to cook more often and when it comes to grillin outstide. I am the only one that has that job also.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

I grew up cooking with a Mom who was a great cook (and a dad who cooked on tuesdays when she had late classes. We ate at friends' on tuesdays a lot until he learned.)

The girl goes to cooking classes and comes home with new recipes. I improvise better than she does. Very few meals have been tossed. (though it's ok to try something and fail. really. That's what pizza is for.)

However, slow cooked eggs and poultry that doesn't get hot enough is dangerous.

We'll discuss the dangers of trichinosis and the health sense of keeping kosher in the pre-refrigeration days another time.

By the way, you don't cook a hardboiled egg. You cook raw eggs.

Reply to
chuck yerkes