OT: AT&T U-verse opinions

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:57:39 -0600, "Mr. Austerity" wrote Re Re: OT: AT&T U-verse opinions:

That sound like something I could use. May I ask who you get the cell phone from?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

You may never see (or something like it) for some time. ATT stopped its build outs of Uverse last year and Verizon threw their hands in the air last year with their FiOS build outs. It costs a lot of money to build an area out and likely cable and satellite are already there so you need to give it away to attract users from those providers.

Reply to
George

The most annoying are those "air stuffed" mailers where basically the mailman delivers a loose pile of assorted garbage mail to each home with many of the mixed pieces carefully crafted to look like checks or normal mail.

Reply to
George

I have a Tracfone which costs me $99/year to get about 600 renewable minutes, i.e unused minutes roll over.

My phone was nearly 10 years old and getting long in the tooth and new one only $14.

If you don't talk a lot on the phone and are mainly interested in using it occasionally I don't think there is a better bargain. Plus it piggybacks the big services and if any available in any area you will get a signal.

May be more difficult to activate as you have to do it over the phone or on line. Initial purchase give you phone with a few minutes to do it but probably better on line. Renewing on line is a piece of cake needing only phone number and credit card.

Reply to
Frank

I've had a Tracfone for many years and my unused minutes will expire in

2022. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

George wrote in news:jh8hh9$m9g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Disclosure: I have had Verizon DSL and FiOS in North Jersey since at least 1999, and like it ... Around here they compete with Cablevision Optimum Online, and I see the Cablevision repair trucks much, much more foten than FiOS trucks. As I understand it satellite "suffers" from a latency problem related to the distance back + forth to the satellite, and suffers from weather (rain/snow) related problems - diminished signal.

Here is a link for FiOS-related stuff I found by googling: :

FiOS Deployment

Verizon FiOS is currently available in many states and is continuously expanding. Verizon hopes to expand the FiOS internet service to all 28 states where verizon currently provides landline telephone services.

The 16 states which the FiOS internet service now occupies are California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington. Many more states may have FiOS internet services available as time progresses.

Verizon Fios Availability Status

Choose a State:

etc, etc

Reply to
Han

This might be of use:

link is to the prepaid comparison chart of Cellguru. Another:
one
talks about phones.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

if you talk a lot net 10 and verizon wireless both offer a 50 buck a month unlimited phone itext picture message and crippled internet to check e mail etc.

cricket offers the same for 35 bucks a month.

republic wireless is beginning to roll out a unlimited plan for 19 bucks a month that uses wi fi when available to cut cell time.

if all this keeps up they will be paying consumers to talk on the phone

Reply to
bob haller

I stopped buying at Fry's because almost EVERYTHING I bought was used and re-packaged, with stuff missing, like an internal patch cord that goes from the DVD deck to the soundboard.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Sat service has improved considerably. In the 18 months I've had it, a total of maybe 15 minutes of poor signal was encountered. Snow, ice, strong winds made no difference at all. I'm told that dish design has changed and is less susceptible to weather.

Maybe in the more populated areas. Where I am, they don't even know we exist, nor do they care. Population density drives their expansion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not any more. Both Verizon (FIOS) and ATT (U-Verse) have told investors they are no longer expanding to new areas. The only sales they are interested in now are infill. Basically, if your neighborhood is served, you can order it. If not, you are out of luck.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I haven't been in a Fry's for months, but they used to be pretty good about marking return/repack stuff. It was reasonably easy to find unopened merchandise.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Looks like you find the happy every day marketing dept version.

Direct from verizons ceo:

Lowell McAdam - Verizon Communications - President & CEO "Well, that would certainly be our objective to get around that 50% penetration across all of our markets.With FiOS we are about

16 million POPs at this point and we want to get to about 18 million. If we built out the whole footprint, we would be more in the 21 million, maybe a little bit more, range. But I don't plan on going any further than we have talked about because we have got to kind of clean up a few of the processes around the ONTs. We have now developed a strategy whereas if we put FiOS down the street, regardless of the services that are on the street we are going to move everything over to FiOS and get the copper out of service and out of our base. So that is a pretty significant shift for us. That changes the scale and, frankly, the cost structure associated with FiOS. If I can get some rhythm on that and be a little bit more efficient on the ONTs and what goes on inside the house then the economics of FiOS begins to get better and better then I can reevaluate. But for now the bottom line is we are going to build out what we said and not any more"

George

George wrote in news:jh8raq$fd0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks, Ed, Robert & George. That fills in the picture. While we have absolutely no plans on moving, until we leave the house toes up, if we were to move anywhere, the available digital services would play a role.

Best of luck to you all!

Reply to
Han

At the rate I'm going, mine too.

Also, at the rate I'm going, I'll probably expire first.

I don't know of a better deal for someone that wants a phone just to be mobile.

Reply to
Frank

I have net10 but trackphone is from the same company and more or less the same thing although they are not interchangeable and walmart's straight talk is from the same company.. In my zip code area they usually piggyback on ATT network. I see walgreens has a trackphone for

20 bucks with 200 minutes. You can try it and see if it works for you. It's not a smart phone by any means but I like the small size, it works. Inflation is measured in many ways but the cost of making a long distance phone call is one thing that is a hell of a lot cheaper than it was 20 years ago.
and you might want to check out Skype or google talk.
Reply to
Mr. Austerity

As long as I can get to a VA Canteen once in a while I can nurse my TF with 1000's of minutes along for about $30/year.

I'm kinda stunned when people say they pay $150/month for TV/phone/net. That's already a significant chunk of change, and as a reoccurring expense...no way I could justify that for entertainment. Anyone paying amounts like that should start mooing right now 'cause just a cash cow.

Next month marks 1 year with Uverse DSL. In that time there has been exactly one bill for the correct amount and that was only because a CSR manually applied credits so the total would come out to what it was supposed to be.

Fake ID

You're right - I've never purchased anything from their web site. Just the retail stores.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Tigerdirect... I never did the 40 dollars worth of rebates they promised to pay. That was over 10 years ago and I've never bought another thing from them, I even canceled the credit card I used to make that purchase because they wouldn't dispute the purchase. Anymore any add with a rebate, I just skip over it. If a rebate makes the difference I'll find what I want somewhere else. Even the easy rebate from Staples ... 5 bucks, I never got that. I hate rebates, or maybe I should say I hate rebate offers. I was one of those that complained to the AG's Office

Mr. Austerity

For the most part, I share your feelings. Staples though, has been easy and fast. Never had a problem claiming them on line.

Recently, I sent in paperwork for a new energy efficient heating boiler for the offices at work. This is for $3000 and three months later, I got a letter it was denied. No other information. I called our rep and the e next morning, it was approved and the check a few days later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski