Opinions of this electric heated blower, for heating a garage?

I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage. The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

bryan

electric will cost more..............

Reply to
hallerb

That heater is 1350 watts. If my memory serves that's less than

5000 BTU- 1/17th the output of the heater you have. So if the heater you have is only on 1/17th of the time or less, the little electric one won't keep up.

Propane is expensive, but unless you live in the TVA areas I'll bet it is still cheaper than electricity.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Its about only 5000 btu, so you need 17 of them, what do you pay per kwh, for me in the midwest electric is more expensive at .125 kwh than Ngas

Reply to
ransley

That is 4610 Btu. Sure, it will work as well if you get 18 of them and are willing to pay electric prices. In most cases, electricity costs more than propane.

I see that the heater also has outlets for power tools. The heater is going to pull close to the maximum allowed on a circuit so adding a saw is going to trip breakers if used in that manner. There are also inaccuracies in the description of the motor; "Two-speed motor: 1700/2850 feet per minute" I'd not have anything from Harbor Freight in my house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

He better buy 36 of them HF stuff only lasts a few weeks

Reply to
ransley

No.

My first thought was to dismiss it out-of-hand simply due to the "harbor freight" URL. Still, I went and checked it out.

It's a heated, forced-air RUG DRYER fer pete's sake. 1350-watts won't make a DENT in the temperature if the 85k propane heater was just adequate to the task.

So what? That's the CO$T of heating the space. Either live with it or wait until Spring to work in that space.

That cheapie carpet-dryer from HF will be a BIG disappointment. Take the $70 you would spend to confirm my claim and BUY MORE PROPANE.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Not if you want to KEEP your house.

We can't get the ChiComs to keep the lead out of their exported children's toys. One can only imagine the TRASH they sell to HF.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Wow, ask a dumb question, get a borderline aggressive answer.

Still, thanks everyone for helping me figure that out.

Reply to
bryanska

To your credit, your follow-up was quite measured, indeed. Thank-you. And your query wasn't dumb. I still believe the only truly DUMB question is one that isn't asked.

With substantially less bluster, allow me to add that my experience with TWO electric space heaters in my otherwise unheated garage was less than satisfactory while the same space is nicely warmed by a 30,000-btu, fan-forced, propane-fueled heater. Quite frankly, the electrics didn't warm the space much at all.

My first home was heated with an electric, forced-air, central furnace. It had two "banks" of elements, 5kw each. They were "staged" two degrees apart. Normal maintenance of the thermostat setting used only one bank. Cranking-up the setting by more than two degrees activated the second element bank.

One day, on a semi-lunatic lark, I fired-up all four "burners" on the electric range in the kitchen. I also turned on both elements in the broiler/oven. I then ran a tub full of very warm water for the daughters' bath. This activated both elements of the water heater.

I switched-on every light and appliance I could find. I left open the refrigerator door long enough to ensure its compressor ran. I recall I found the steam iron and plugged that in. An electric space heater or two was added to the mix. I cranked-up the thermostat in the hall to get the furnace going at full bore. I then donned my parka and went outside to check the electric meter.

It was an unbelievable sight. Never before or since have I seen one spin at such a rate. It was awesome.

Our local power utility named one of their peaking units in my honor.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs