Wow thats even dumber than the Iranians climbing the electric pole to
steal power (posted a few weeks ago).
A college friend of mine once tried to "dry out" a flooded carburetor
in dead winter by "burning off" the excess fuel in the carburator
throat. He was running for the extinguisher when the rubber gas line
started burning too.
Good grief...... I would have never even thought of doing something so
stupid. I'm pretty sure those motors have brushes, and brushes mean
sparks. I dont even like using those little drill operated pumps that
you can buy anywhere for under $5. I have one, used it for water
several times, but for gas I'll stick to the old fashioned hand
operated squeeze bulb, and make sure not to smoke while doing it.
On Nov 16, 3:06 am, email@example.com wrote:
Yup. All these rank right in there with those about the lady who
washed her telephone in hot water in the kitchen sink "Because it was
dirty"!. (It short circuited the telephone line so none of the phones
in the house would work!).
Or the kids who put a pet cat into the microwave to dry it off after
giving it a bath' etc./ etc. (First Kitty was shivering; and then was
Misunderstanding of the tools and technology we have at hand makes us
modern humans more stupid than a 'primitive person's' understanding of
more natural events. Such as "Don't eat those berries they will kill
or make you sick. That water or that animal/fish etc. is unclean and
will give you disease.
Of course what we are currently doing to the planet is going in that
Shop-Vac Jet Engine
Myth: A guy was cleaning his pool and heard an explosion. He went to
his neighbor's house -- his neighbor was using a shop-vac to get the
sediment off the bottom of the gas tank in his boat. The fumes went
through the shop-vac and turned it into a turbine engine.
Test 1: Shop-Vac + Gas Can
They put a small amount of gas in a gas can so that it was mostly full
of fumes. They hooked it up to a shop-vac for five minutes to see if
they could get an explosion.
No explosion. It turns out that the shop-vac that they had chosen,
like most new shop-vacs, has a safety feature: the motor is isolated
from the tank and air running through the tank, so the motor can't
spark the fumes.
Test 2: Short-circuited shop-vac + Gas Can
By accident, they short-circuited their shop-vac parts, sending sparks
everywhere. Happy with this discovery, they decide to rig a worst-case
shop-vac: short-circuit and a hole drilled through to allow the spark
to reach the fumes. They also added more gas to the gas can.
Test 3: Creating a Jet-engine out of Vacuum Parts
Tory went to A&G Vacuum shop to pick up some more vacuums. A&G Vacuum
was the site of Adam's facial run-in with a vacuum motor (Adam decided
to stick his face near a motor, which pulled in and chopped up his
lip). The Vacuum Man showed Tory an older vacuum that was capable of
sparking fumes into a fire.
This proved that it's possible for a vacuum to catch on fire, but it
didn't turn into a jet engine. With this in mind, Tory was tasked with
replicating the results of the myth, i.e. creating a jet-engine out of
* Vacuum motor sucks in air into a tube
* Fuel injector made from a propane ring from a propane stove
* Flame catcher made from a conical strainer
* Fans at back
Tory: "There are going to be a lot of engineers out there going, 'What
the hell is he doing?' and I'm asking myself that on a moment-by-
moment basis, 'What the hell am I doing?'"
Tory's vacuum-based jet-engine was hung up chamber with an ignitor.
First try: no ignition. Tory moved the ignitor to the end of the
engine. Second try: still no ignition. Tory then tried an open flame
at the end of the chamber: finally, ignition.
There was a tiny, tiny bit of thrust when the vacuum motor started,
but for the most part it just tossed flames around the chamber.
"The whole concept of a vacuum cleaner being a jet engine is all
wrong. It goes against the principles that make jet engines. Vacuum
cleaner create vacuums, that's low pressure. A jet engine works by
creating more pressure, which completes the compression, so it's just
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.