Oil spill

Really?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"The British government had lost money operating Concorde every year, and moves were afoot to cancel the service entirely."

Personally, I think they hate things with sharp points. Kinda like knives and sticks.

Reply to
Oren

There are 33 rigs facing immediate shutdowns. This involves about 45,000 laborers directly (about 1,400 per rig). Then there are those jobs directly related to the rigs in supplying food, supplies, and transportation. Each of these jobs has a domino effect and best estimates are that in excess of

100,000 people will be affected.

Heck, even one strip club has applied for compensation due to a severe drop-off in business.

No, this whole enchilada will go down as Obama's Bay of Rigs.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some boat Captains drive as far as from Nawth Florida. They can't all live locally. They will be hurt, financially. I bet some Captains come from Texas.

A crying damn shame :-/

Now that puts it in perspective.

Reply to
Oren

the strip club should be compensated if their business is off, i am not a strip club proponent, but they are a legit business thats been harmed by the oil spill

Reply to
hallerb

Agreed. When it's obvious that all the plans for disaster are horribly flawed, it's pretty standard to stop everything and do a complete process inspection since it's clear it's never been done correctly before.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Polls. I can poll 1000 crackheads and they'll say "crack is good for you." S.O. F$cking what?

The Gulf is a resource shared by not just the nation, but the world. I couldn't care less what a bucnh of Alabamans that actually own telephones have to say about something happening outside their jurisdictional limit. That's FEDERAL oil that belongs to everyone leaking into an ecosystem important to far more than just Alabama.

Easy. Mandate the companies pay their salaries anyway if the rigs fail to pass inspection, proving that the shutdown was the right thing to do. Obama's got the will of an angry, angry populace he can direct against the oil companies. Joe Barton confirmed that for us. (0: He's already allegedly extorted $20B from BP. I am sure he can squeeze some millions more out of the other rig operators.

< That's right, less safe. The industry experts that Obama consulted before issuing his decree told him that they thought it was a mistake to do the ban.>

Ah, yes, the same experts that approved the disaster plans that were so laughable they included plans for the Gulf's walruses. In the case where a disaster of epic proportions is occurring and where it's clear the disaster plans approved by Federal and industry experts were bogus, there's almost no choice but to shut down and inspect.

ground all of that type until the solution is found.

Reply to
Robert Green

So, I'm sure you'd like for there to be one fewer company in the market. You were in favor of the Exxon/Mobil marriage, too, I assume.

What charge?

Loss of profits isn't enough penalty, for you. You require that the victims to suffer too. Got it.

They will be "accepting" a smaller return now.

You really are clueless.

Reply to
krw

But unlike those other two, it is already fairly well established that the process flaws were largely in the areas where BP actually deviated from industry norms, if not regulations. Don't see a real need to close down the industry, since all that needs to be done is not cut corners. Doubtful that will happen, at least for a couple years, until the memory of what happened to BP fades.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And the releif wells will just become more leaks allowing 2 or 3 times more oil into the ocean. There is no way to stop this thing, period. A year from now the oceans will be filled with pure oil and there will be no life left in them. As a result of the ocean filling with oil, all the water will be forced upon the land and we will all drown. We have reached the end of life on planet earth and the planet will be destroyed in short order. Everyone of us will die in the next year or so. Man has continued to destroy this planet, and this time they have succeeded. Our lives are over and this planet will be anhilated soon. There's no turning back anymore.

Reply to
natefuller2

surviving and using it's

the stockholders and

Translate the BP disaster, the result of say as few as 20 managers behaving

*very* badly to the WTC disaster with a similar number of men behaving *VERY, VERY* badly. It's why the Chinese say "when you set out on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves."*

WTC was not Pearl Harbor no matter what spin meisters tried to make it into. It was caused by us getting far too careless with very dangerous technology (jetliner "missiles") and allowing something very bad to happen. It was instantly forgotten that these a&&wipe terrorists had no weapons of their own. They used our own powerful technology and their own lives against us.

The "war" should have been on our own carelessness that allowed them such easy access to tremendous power. El Al Airlines locked cabin doors over 20 years ago. The Israelis are more desperate, so they're smarter and obviously far more vigilant. They would NOT have suffered a 9/11 attack because they took the simplest of precautions. They locked the doors. That's the truth no one wants to face up to.

Disaster in so many areas is simply the result of the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up. Normally, a series of "filters" catches bad actors, be they slime ball terrorists, meteorological forces, bad designs or just plain bad luck. At BP, it was the safety precautions. At WTC, it was the safety precautions, too.

Take your house: If the grounds not treated, if the CATV feed holes aren't caulked, if there's untreated wood in contact with the grounds, you could lose your house to termites. Termites and terrorists have the same goal, ironically - to sneak in unnoticed and do you harm. What are the choices? Nuke every terrorist/termite on earth? Not really possible. There are trillions of termites and God knows how many terrorists. They are both bugs to be guarded against, not warred upon. Think of all the safety plans, devices and related jobs one trillion dollars could have bought us.

Trader, It's obvious you have the intelligence to figure out what's best for the country, the world AND BP's shareholders even though it's clearly not the popular thing to do. If only Bush had had your perspicacity. You had me worried for a while, but there's hope for you yet. (-:

-- Bobby G.

*On occasion, I have been asked what that means. One for your enemy, one for yourself for when you get killed seeking revenge.
Reply to
Robert Green

One side of it was. Now, Grandma gets strip searched if she is the wrong random number. Tom Clancy often notes that about the only thing the terrorists accomplished is to inconvenience airline passengers. The other side of this is that Americans won't let their honchoes get away without doing "something". Whether or not there is anything they can actually do is pretty much decide the point. You are seeing this in the Gulf with Obama. He isn't able to take this really huge cork down to the site to stop the oil, but he is still being criticized for standing by, not making things worse by "doing something", and letting those who might know what is going on do their thing.

Somebody once said in this context that most disasters that get out of hand are due to a failure of imagination. Nobody imagined that there would ever be a hijacking that would be for any reason other than transportation to somewhere (There were locks on the cabin doors, but the policies in place at the time were--probably correctly with the experience up to that time--to cooperate with the hijackers to keep everyone safe. That policy actually helped the hijackers.). Nobody imagined what would happen if there was no place to move the people in the Superdome after the initial storm passed. Nobody imagined that ALL of the safeguards would be ignored or defeated on the oil well.

But that isn't "doing something" so the American Public would not have stood for it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

there was a earler highjacking where the terrorists were stopped before flying a airliner into the eifel tower.

theres a entire episode of air emergency about this near flying bomb.

authorities just ignored it:(

Reply to
hallerb