O: Aluminum Foil

Why is aluminum foil shiny on one side and dull on the other. And does it matter which side goes toward the food you're wrapping or lining a pan you're groiling in?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Answered here:

retired1

When they repeatedly roll it through the machines, making it thinner and thinner until it gets to the desired thickness, it would tend to break unexpectedly. Thus, they send *two* layers through the rollers at the same time to prevent that unexpected breakage. At the end, when the two layers are separated for packaging, the side that faced the rollers is shiny, while the side that faced the other sheet is dull.

Saw that on Science channel 15-20 years ago.

Nope.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I'm thinking you're either an ALCOA guy or a Reynolds guy!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

So it is, thx...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Because it's manufactured in two layers that are peeled apart afterward.

No.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

More important question: when you line your colander to protect you against the mind control rays, should it be shiny side out or in?

Reply to
danny burstein

I put shiny side out. Better reflectivity against the rays. Evidently some get through though, I watched the debate last night and now my brane hertz

Reply to
Ed P

You should see somebody about those masochistic tendencies.

Reply to
rbowman

I've never used a colander. I use my daddy's WWII combat helmet.

One layer shiny side down between the helmet liner and the steel pot, another layer shiny side up outside the steel pot held firmly in place by the the camo netting. Chin strap fastened.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Now that, I believe.

Reply to