Now I have the rehab itch...what will all this cost??

Broke my big repair cherry yesterday by dropping $1700 re-shingling 900 sq feet of roof.

I was thinking of doing a rehab loan, with the following items included. I know some of these I may be able to handle myself, but I wanted to put them all in to get an idea of cost for all these items from some of the experts here.

This is for a 100 year old single family two story colonial in MA. The home is about 1350 sq feet. 7 rooms, 3 beds, 1 bath.

- add 1/2 bath on 1st floor

- Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)

- waterproof all fieldstone basement walls (650 sq ft basement)

- add ground level 12 x 15 redwood deck, lighted w/ outside elec outlets

- hot tub on the new deck

- new asphalt driveway (single wide, about 12 x 40)

- extend existing 12 x 30 garage by 20 feet back into yard.

- hardwire electricity to garage - w/baseboard elec heat or wood stove.

- replace bathroom floor w/ceramic time and install shower door enclosure (6 x 6 bathroom, small.)

- re-seed and flatten/level lawn, remove razor tree (holley?), remove 4 ft chain link fence and giant bush in front of house. (Lawn is about

3000 sq feet. Fence is about 25 ft in length.)

- Wall to wall carpet in living room (10 x 12).

- baseboard heat w/thermo installed in unheated room. (10 x 12)

- new gas dryer

- new front and back storm doors

- new gas stove

- add garbage disposal

- ceramic tile on kitchen floor (16 x 14)

- reshingle roof of garage.

I am figuring around $25,000. I would hope a GC could handle the whole mess, and get it all done in a month in the spring/summer/fall. Thoughts?

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Just one other question - if the above house is valued curently @

300,000, how much of an icrease in value could I expect from the repairs listed?

Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Cost varies a bit by location, of course, but I think your estimate is quite optimistic. I'm in northern Alabama, which is on the inexpensive side nationwide, and this list sounds like at least double your estimate at first blush--and maybe triple depending on specifics. Lots of your list is $500 here, $1000 there, but the half-bath and the garage extension are potentially huge money- and timewise. I'd bet you're also going to spend more than you think on your deck/hot tub project--that sort of project just screams "scope creep."

Reply to
Bo Williams

You're joking, right?

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote in news:1103570715.193592.140150 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The budget sounds woefully small, and you don't have a hope in hell of doing all that in a month.

Reply to
Old Fangled

[...]

More like 50000

Reply to
m Ransley

-> - Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)

One of my neighbors has a bright yellow house. It doesn't look so good. (And I'm glad it's not in my line of sight!)

Reply to
Suzie-Q

If you get a contractor to agree with you I Bet he will dissapear to another state with your downpayment. Or you will forever be chasing him in court. Get real get qualified bids. 2 thoughts Yellows cover the worst and are usualy a 2 coat job. Waterproofing a foundation is done from the outside. Get quality bids

Reply to
m Ransley

No kidding. That alone might DEvalue the home for the amount of the rest of the improvements.

Yellow. Yech.

Reply to
John Harlow

i doubt you could do all that for 25k even if you did most of the labor yourself.

but my real question, why would you dump all that money into such a small house?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Yes, he can get the deck done for that amount and time frame. Now, about the rest of your dreams . . . . . . . . . .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That will get you far less than half of what you want. If you start in March it's just possible it might be done by Labor Day, but Thanksgiving Day for sure. And possibly in the year 2006 The storm doors ought to be only $400 or so, do them first. Painting the house bright yellow is likely to thrill your neighbors a lot, especially if there no other rainbow-hued homes nearby. Yellow is a weird color that people either loathe or merely tolerate. Waterproofing a fieldstone basement is an execise in futility, unless the house sits on a gravel hill. Stay closer to your budget and pour a nice concrete patio instead of the trendy wood deck. It's cheaper and you can have a fire pit (super trendy) as well as a hot tub, without killing off 20 acres of ancient forest for your redwood. I'll defer to other NG experts on pitfalls and possibilities, but for sure you will have been through some interesting times by the time everything gets done. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I would rather see a yellow house than another earth-tone. I have seen endless tracts of houses built with nothing but various shades of beige, tan and brown. That is boring.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I actually kind of like yellow. I particularly like what I've taken to calling "F-U" yellow, which is the shade of yellow the people near my work re-painted their house after the historic-district commission told them that they had to paint it either white, yellow, or (I think,) green. They chose a shade somewhere between road-stripe and international-safety yellow. Not timid. :-)

It took a little more than a year for other houses nearby to start copying it. Once you get used to it, it looks really good. But not for people who are afraid of color.

Reply to
default

The thing about yellow houses is that there are some yellows that look fine on some houses, but a slightly different shade or even slightly different color saturation can look god-awful. We have brown and yellow Craftsman-style houses in our neighborhood, and they look very nice. But there is a primo example of Craftsman style (it was actually written up and photographed in a renovator's magazine once) that the new owner painted bright yellow and it looks dreadful. So close ... yet so far! It looks exactly like someone got the wrong paint by mistake.

Be careful. I'd suggest looking for another yellow house you like and being damned careful you get that exact shade of yellow. Knock on the door and ask.

Reply to
Tom Miller