Noncontact Bimetal

Just got back in from working on a GE side by side refrigerator. A GSS25QFMBBB, for those of you who wish the information. Low air flow, frost forming on the food in the freezer. Not making ice.

The last company had come out, and replaced the termination thermostat (hasta la vista, baby, you're warm enough).

I'd remembered a wise, hard shelled one who told me about the bimetal being used as a sensor for when to turn on the evaporator fan. They had also reported a groaning noise, so I called for an evaporator fan, also.

Got back to the home, and the fan was spinning. I'd figured for rusted and locked up. I took the back off. Found that the last guy had propped the bimetal in the back -- but it wasn't touching the line. It had provision for a clip, but the techie had not used the clip. Replace, and this time clip the bimetal on.

So, question for y'all. We fixed one problem. Is this the common problem? What else to consider, if this doesn't work. Looked like there were two themocouples, one on a refrierant line, and one by the bottom of where the air flow comes in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon