New Small Engine Carburetor Lacks Port for Crankcase Breather Hose

I was lucky to find a carburetor that would fit a very old Tecumseh engine, but it lacks a port for the crankcase breather hose, which the original one had. Can I retrofit a port on the air filter bell? Or, in general, can I retrofit a port anywhere as long as the hose opening is in contact with filtered air? What will happen if I close off the air breather hose altogether? Is this an option? Help is very much appreciated! Thank you! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

: I was lucky to find a carburetor that would fit a very old Tecumseh : engine, but it lacks a port for the crankcase breather hose, which the : original one had.

CY: Bummer.

: Can I retrofit a port on the air filter bell?

CY: yes, it would be OK to stick the hose into the air filter. At least, I think so....

Or, in general, : can I retrofit a port anywhere as long as the hose opening is in : contact with filtered air?

CY: The goal is to put the dirty oily air that comes out of the breather hose into the air stream. So that any oil and vapors will have the chance to be burned.

: What will happen if I close off the air breather hose : altogether? Is this an option?

CY: You'll get a lot more crud in the crank case. Better to just leave the breather hose open so it can dump the vapors and crud into the air. The EPA won't hurt you too badly if you don't tell them.

: Help is very much appreciated!

CY: Don't tell anyone what you did with the machine. Just do it and be silent.

: Thank you! : Frank

Reply to
Stormin Mormon