Mud cracks after floating?

After installing green board I taped and floated. The thick areas cracked after drying. What did I do wrong? Also, I do I get a smooth finish like the pros? Carlton.

Reply to
Carlton Whitmore

Too much water or too much mud per coat.

Reply to
Greg

Did you use durabond 90 for the first coat?

Christian

Reply to
Christian

Any time the mud it put on extra thick, it will crack when as it dries. This is normally not a problem.

Normal, good taping requires 3 coats. Do not expect finish looking tape joints in the first coat - pros do not get it in one coat either. The trick is to apply the mud and wipe in the edges to minimize or eliminate sanding. Each coat is put on with a wider knife to feather out the edges of the joints. The 3 rd coat should give you the smooth joints you do seek. If this is your first time to tape and bed, it may take 4 or 5 trips.

As Christian said, a thermal setting mud like Durabond can be built heavier without the cracking, but it would usually only be used for the initial bed coat.

"Carlton Whitmore" wrote in message news:J7wod.31279$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com...

Reply to
DanG

too thick