Mower trouble?

Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in the tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up), I rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a "gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some fluid got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't know what and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one knows for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Airkings

According to Airkings :

The gloop gloop is probably oil. It's remotely possible that you got some oil into the carb or cylinder head. Generally speaking, there is no direct path between the crank case and the cylinder head, carburetor or muffler. The only oil getting to the top of the engine is that which seeps past the piston rings, or bypasses the valve seals.

But you say that the smoke is white. Oil would probably be black smoke, unless it got into the muffler, and the muffler isn't hot yet.

More likely I think is you have a little water in the gas tank, carburetor cup, or sedimentation cup (if the motor has one). By tilting the mower, you caused a bubble of water to get into the carb, and the white smoke is steam.

If the motor seems to run okay, running it for a few minutes should clear it. But before starting it again, make sure that the mower has enough oil. If the carb cup has a drain, drain the cup first and let it refill. Clean out the sedimentation cup if it has one.

If you see any water, for future prevention of a repeat, it'd probably be a good idea to completely siphon out the gas tank, let it settle, and then carefully pour it back in leaving any gunk/water behind. Or discard it.

[In car engines, white smoke is often water in the oil. But that's almost never a problem with air cooled engines.]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

The oil can get to the carb via the crankcase vent tube. Just run it and make sure the oil is still full. you may have to clean the plug if it fouls. Water will not make smoke.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

It's oil burning. It will burn off. You might want to check the air filter. It could be soaked and need cleaning or replacement.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to