mold on mdf board

Hello all, In my basement, i built some platforms with pt 2x4's and MDF. The platforms are on the basement floor. There is some weirdness going on here. I have mold growing on the mdf. There doesn't seem to be mold anywhere else in the basement. Does mdf possess some strange ability to grow mold than plywood for example ??

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

Cellulosic materials can break down under the usual conditions of temperature, humidity, etc., and become food sources for molds. The materials in MDF are finer powdery wood byproducts so they be more susceptible. I defer to the experts in this speculative possibility. Plywood retains more natural binders, lignin, whatever, and could be more resistant. Treatment with something like Cuprinol would take of the problem. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst