Mold in Window A/C

In the process of cleaning my window a/cs for storage, I discovered one has some mold growing on the styrofoam where the air blows out (the metal parts are all fine -- figures). What is the best way to deal with this? I'm not sure if I should use any wet sprays on the styrofoam, or even a steam cleaner, and I can't find much info online. Anyone have any experience in cleaning styrofoam??

Thanks

Reply to
evening0star

Turn off the unit and do not use it if you can. The mold will cross contaminate your living environment.

If the styrafoam, which i'm hoping can be accessed from the outside, can be removed replace it. Prior to adding anything new that is porous to the unit; get a spray bottle wiht half bleach and hald water and spray the untit down from the outside. Tape heavy plastic over the unit insidet so that spores cannot go airborne into your living space.

Mold is nothing to be played with . It's a serious problem that can cause serious health issues in 20% of the population.

Hope this helps. I also moderate HADD_sickhomes on this site.

Tamara

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
tamara719

Turn off the unit and do not use it if you can. The mold will cross contaminate your living environment.

If the styrafoam, which i'm hoping can be accessed from the outside, can be removed replace it. Prior to adding anything new that is porous to the unit; get a spray bottle wiht half bleach and hald water and spray the untit down from the outside. Tape heavy plastic over the unit insidet so that spores cannot go airborne into your living space.

Mold is nothing to be played with . It's a serious problem that can cause serious health issues in 20% of the population.

Hope this helps. I also moderate HADD_sickhomes on this site.

Tamara

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
tamara719

First it might not be mold. Small amounts could be dirt or at worse, a little mildew.

Second, if this was me, and you are not. Good for you. :) I would use a disinfectant, and wipe off.

Good luck, tell use what you did. BTW, not a mold, mildew or even a dirt expert, so not a how-to. ;)

later,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Can you cut or scrape off the affected foam, and squirt great-stuff in there?

Reply to
Goedjn