Since the mold occurred after the previous owner "lost" the house, there is
no insurance claim on it. The bank has it listed "as-is", no mold warning in
the listing either. Once remediated, and inspected and free from mold, this
should not be an issue, right? Besides, I don't think there is coverage for
mold only, unless there is a "covered" resason for a flood, and mold occurred
directly because of it, from what I understand. Thanks!
The reason it flooded is that the electric was shut off. The house is a repo
(bank owned) and by the time they got the electric back on (I'm estimating 8
mths or so, by talking to the neighbor) the water had continued to seep in.
Ordinarily (again, per the neighbor next door with tri-level also) the pumps
run for only a few minutes, 1-2 x day during rainy times, to as little as 1x
week depending on the weather. So, if the pump is not disabled, the
likelyhood of this amount of water coming in again would be slim. When we saw
the house it was nearing the end of a very wet 2-3 week period, and the lower
level was completely dry (No evidence of any water except deep in the hole
where the pump is) Also, the heat was not on during any of the time the
house has been empty, so no airflow. I'm sure the winter dampness hasn't
helped any. Did I mention this is in Michigan? It's been more wet the cold
here this year.
Sounds like you have all the basics covered with backup plans if you
lose power and/or pump fails.........soooooooooooooo.........I would
say your good to go!! You might want to have a little chat with your
allergist though to be sure any residual dead spores will not effect
you in an unpleasant way.......other than that........I would say that
you found yourself a good investment .....like stated already.......if
replacing everything with new.....and keeping the right
environment.....the mold should not return. I wish you much happiness
in your new home. Good luck.
I wouldn't buy the house, even when healthy. With asthma? No way!
Gutting the visible damage leaves the rest of the house that was full of
damp and mold. I have no experience with mold remediation whatsoever,
but living 24/7 in a home with problems might bring out sensitivities
you don't know about yet. Ck. with your physician, just for kicks.
Ever had allergy tests?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.