Mixing oil and gas

Once again, the ratio specified by the manufacturers had more to do with the oil technology at the time then with the engine technology/design. 2 cycle oils have improved so much that even the old 16:1 engine recomendations get better lubrication using 40-50:1 assuming the newer oils are used. (the old 16:1 oils were probably Group I dino's where the new 50:1 oils are typically a highly advanced synthetic.)

You don't need a seperate jug for each mix as long as you use a modern

2 cycle oil. I've done research and Mobil MX2T is one of the best. (available at Autozone)

Reply to
davefr

Is it a synthetic

Reply to
m Ransley

Roger that, then. Thanks!

Now, red I can understand (a quick google shows that blue is kerosene and yellow is diesel), but why must it be opaque?

And why *isn't* there a separate color for oil-gas mix? Sheesh.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Personaly I would go with a seperate can for each, and buy the coresponding mix for each. Not the most effiecient but just how much will you use in a season? I have the same dillema with my leaf blower but I can tell you the NEXT one I buy will be 50:1.

Reply to
Dan Baker

because you would need to use about 100 colors to cover all the possibilities. although you can always go down and buy a can of spray paint...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I pick the tool that needs the most oil and go with that mix for all my equipment. Most stuff uses 40:1 now but I have 2 items which use 32:1 so all my equipemnt gets 32:1 and been doing this for a dozen years and I usually give the stuff away because I get bored with them and get something new at some point because nothing ever breaks. Been using the same edger, blower, and trimmer for many years. Even an old 2 cycle lawnboy mower. It all does well with this sloppy method. Only downside is extra pollution I am causing. I also save gas season to season with no problems. Sometimes add a little oil to an old mix before I use it. If I had a $400 blower, etc I probably would not be so sloppy.

Reply to
Art

Here is the simple answer. Get a one galon gas can (BTW, in New York, here, there are 128 ounces in a galon). Go to the Dollar Store, and buy a baby bottle which is graduated in ounces. Pour four ounces of two stroke oil into the baby bottle. Pour all that oil into the gascan. Go to the store, buy about .98 or so galons of premium. Pump it into the gas can. Screw the cap on the gascan, and shake it.

Gas mix with 4 ounces of oil to 1 galon of gas is called "thirty two to one mix" also called 32:1 and will run fine in nearly every two cycle equipment made.

The reason I don't suggest a two galon can, it takes a long time to use that much gas mix on household gadgets.

Store the baby bottle in a tool box, don't put it on the shelf where grandma will find it and think it's for Scooter.

Shake the gascan before you fill the tank. Every time. I know... oil isn't supposed to separate out. And planes aren't supposed to crash in the world trade center. Shake the gas every time you use it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is a simple answer....try and learn to spell the word " Gallon".......

Just maybe a few educated folks might take your religion more seriously, eh ???

=====

You fuckwad....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT