Minor hit/run damage and State Farm

on 7/17/2008 1:11 PM ransley said the following:

Yeah, and then send the video to the FBI's Video Enhancement Unit to have the 100 times, or more, re-recorded video cleaned up. They'll be glad to spend thousands of $$ to find out who caused $500 worth of damage to a parked vehicle.

Reply to
willshak

If you'd have skipped the collision coverage altogether you'd have an extra 500 a year in your pocket.. Why would anyone buy collision coverage on a '94 T-bird.. Are you on crack..?

Now you want to go through all this nonsense to basically get (a fraction of) 'your' money back...??

The rule of thumb is if the collision premium is 10% or more of the KBB value of the vehicle you should self insure for collision. I'd call and ask SF what they'd give you in the event of a total loss. I doubt it'd be much...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

IF he is paying $500 a year you are correct. I pay $545 to cover my '07 car with a book value over $20,000. I'm paying $264 for an '01 that will get me about $8000 if totaled. I can't find the old policy, but I kept the collision on my '91 because it was little more than beer money and would get me $1200 after the deductible if totaled. Given the cost of repairs, it does not take much to total an older car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Finally got their field-claims guy over here. Estimated damage at $626, cut a check for 376.

You'd think their field guys would estimate at-or-below the dealer's body shop ($520 in this instance): not necessarily the case, 'specially with nickel/dimers.

There's a lot of "don't file a claim"-type paranoia out there. Some of it is justified, and some is not.

Cheers, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

just dropped sf for aig. 7/08. saved $200/year on 2 cars.

i havent filed a claim in over 15 years. seemed pointless to pay higher premiums.

Reply to
ythread

Not sure I would declare victory yet. Still time for the "Dear Friend" letter telling you that your outrageous behavior of filing a claim must be answered with a rate increase.

Reply to
George

I've been pitching aig mail flyers in the trash for years. Just like geico's.

If you wanna run down coverage/premiums, etc, I'll listen.

If you have evidence that aig provides good service, I'll listen.

If not, you haven't told me anything.

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Yes, that is correct. "Uninsured Motorist" covers bodily injury stuff only.

I don't know about other places, but in Cawlifornia you have the right to take your car to a repair place of YOUR choice.

Reply to
Steve

No, it's not correct. Collision covers damage to the insured's car in an accident that was the insured's fault.

Reply to
Doug Miller

aig is probably as bad as sf. my point is i'm retired and drive less than 1k per year. i'll take the extra $ and put it in the bank.

coverage, on paper, was the same.

Reply to
ythread

I got no problem with that. But I haven't had any problems with sf. Only

2 small "not-at-fault" claims in 10 years, but, when I approached 'em very carefully implicitly asking for something reasonable, they responded with something reasonable.

I don't like ins. co's. There are all manner of ins. co's out there (including sf) that are playing all manner of games with their customers. Maybe even worse with health ins (seen Sicko?). The less games an ins. co. is playing, the more I find 'em tolerable.

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

I just finished dumping sf for auto and home. My new homemoaner's policy (safeco) is half what I paid to sf. Those bastards. I'd been with them since I was 23 and only filed one claim when I was burglarized. They paid up but they made me feel like I was the criminal.

Don't ever file a homeowner's claim because when you go to look for a new policy that is the first question they ask: "Have you filed a claim in the past X years?"

The guy who helped me:

get my new policies said the driving forces in determining your premiums is your credit rating and the # of claims you file. Fortunately for me I was OK on both: No claims in a gazillion years and good credit.

It sounds like you have a healthy distrust of ins co's. Good because they don't trust us much either.

The following is a rant so feel free to avoid:

No I haven't seen "Sicko"? I retired comfortably at 51 from the health care industry so I can't complain. I do find it odd that Americans are the most obese and out of shape people on the planet and then have the gall complain about not having good healthcare. My wife works in an emergency room and many of the uninsured are homeless drug addicts "seeking". Michael Moore is a fat idiot. BTW: I voted *against* Bush in the last 2 elections so it has nothing to do with that. If anything, Michael Moore helped Bush get elected with that other idiotic movie of his.

A much better movie is

. This is where America's real heathcare problem lies.

Reply to
ythread

....and then have the gall *to*complain about.....

Reply to
ythread

Again, that's incorrect. Collision covers damage to the insured's car REGARDLESS of who is at fault in a collision. Now, if there is another party that can be located and made to pay, then the insurance company can and likely will go after that other party to recover some or all of the money they are out. But their first obliation is to pay for the repair to their insured parties vehicle, subject to deductible, etc.

If it worked as you say, consider this. Let's say I have collision insurance and get into an accident with party B. No tickets were issued and from the facts given by both parties, my insurance company says I was not at fault, party B was. And party B's insurance company, based on their interpretation of the facts, says their insured is not at fault. Following your premise, I'd be in no mans land because my insurance company says I'm not at fault and it would be unclear who would ever pay to repair my car damage. Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. If you have collision coverage and you have a collision, your insurance company is responsible to pay.

Reply to
trader4

Yeah, it -was- a good deal silly. And like shooting fish in a barrel, to boot.

While there's something to your point, it tells a lot less than 100% of the story.

Let's play the "Choose which folks to count" game. Choose one of the following from which to draw inferences:

1.) The number of US folks whose behavior has caused serious health problems, and bitch about health ins. costs. 2.) The number of US folks whose health problems have other sources, who work hard but don't earn much $ (lack of education, etc), and can't afford health ins. b/c it costs vastly more than in most industrialized countries.

If you've got the ax to grind, I say "grind on". I won't have any more to say about it.

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

nah...it's just the Michael Moore types get me riled.... no personal responsibility.

Reply to
ythread

Reply to
PalmBeachPaul

Certainly. In the absence of weather, darkness, or other mitigating factors, when someone collides with your car in a parking lot and then flees, we're allowed to presume deliberate malice! That's a crime.

Cops SHOULD get involved when there's a possible crime.

Reply to
HeyBub

You don't need an attorney to subpoena the video.

Reply to
Art