Milwaukee = Ryobi?

Nope. There was a long article about this a couple years or so ago:

Dell does have a factory in China. It makes the computers they sell in Asia. Their factory in Ireland makes computers they sell in Europe. And their three US factories make their computers for the US.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Most people would not consider Austin, Nashville, and Winston-Salem to be offshore. :-)

Reply to
Tim Smith

Only those moderately geographically literate in North America, I guess... :)

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Kristy Fuller

How about answering why my three month old Dell says "Made in China" on the box as well as on the case.

Reply to
Matt Barrow

The laptops have been made offshore for ages. Last I looked, their desktops were still assembled in US (Using a lot of pacific rim components, of course.) Monitors are OEM'd by other vendors, presumably overseas, as are keyboards and mice and such. No idea where their consumer-grade machines like in the Sunday paper are knocked together.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Dimension 9200C fits...where?

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Why not? It only takes 16 hours to fly freight over from China. The "Dell factory" in Memphis is simply the Fedex hub. My nephew flys for them on that route. The stuff gets put in containers in China pre-addressed and ready to go. They open the containers here and put the package into the US parcel system. The label shows it came from TN.

Also it only takes 4 days for stuff to get here by boat. There are literally thousands of shipments brought in every day by boat.

Better report that so it can be tracked down. I hear they cut the pay in half for such mistakes so someone is going to get $8/month when they find them...

Reply to
George

Sorry *most* Dell computers for the US market are made offshore. As I explained earlier the "Nashville factory" is simply the point where cargo enters the US parcel delivery system. I don't know about Winston Salem but that may be another freight carriers hub.

And as someone else suggested you can also cross check this by looking at the label. Every one I have seen says "Made in China".

Reply to
George

Wifes office just got a bunch of new Optiplex machines which are their "business grade" units and they all have "Made in China" stickers.

Reply to
George

And it takes a hell of a lot longer than four days to see your merchandise. Containers usually have to be at the port three days in advance of sailing and it can take up to a week on this end to clear customs and be delivered. Door to door can easily be 3 to 4 weeks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, the Nashville factory is a factory:

Quote from that article:

A year ago, Stacey Shannon was making her living stapling bar-code tags on rugs at a Nashville carpet maker.

Today the 27-year-old works 25 miles down Interstate 40 in Lebanon, Tenn., and a world away, building desktop computers for Dell Computer Corp.

``I didn't think I'd actually know how to build a computer,'' Shannon said. ``Now I know how to build one like the back of my hand. It's easier than I thought."

More information on the various facilities Dell has in that area, and what they do:

Nope. It's a manufacturing facility:

A quote from that:

Dell's Winston-Salem plant will produce PowerEdge servers, PowerVault and Dell/EMC products, and OptiPlex and Dimension desktop computers primarily for the U.S. market. Winston-Salem's distribution advantages played into the company's site choice.

Here's an article on how Dell does things:

Reply to
Tim Smith

It saddens me to read that. Dell got underbid on the last go-round at work, so I haven't seen any brand new Optiplexes in a couple of years.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

But those are just the usual warm and fuzzy press releases from the past about the great stuff that is *going* to happen after they got the development grants/no taxes for 10 years exemptions. Did any of it actually happen?

My nephew (and associates) fly in lots of Dell computers from China every day. Every new Dell computer I have seen recently is marked "Made in China"

Reply to
George

Exactly...the typical PR/Marketing "weasel words".

Reply to
Matt Barrow

I don't know exactly how Dell is operating those facilities now as opposed to when they were opened--I suppose (although I doubt) they could be building individualized towers, etc., overseas and shipping them in, but it just doesn't sound logical. I was in TN when the Lebanon, TN (east of Nashville) opened and it certainly was an assembly/manufacturing facility then. That was roughly '99 time frame iirc. I just looked at the Economic Development Organization for the area and they still show 1500 employees at the Dell Lebanon, TN, facility, but could find nothing up-to-date on what they're actually doing. Would seem unlikely they would need 1500 people to unload and re-ship, however.

Dell web site is uninformative -- would have to read annual reports and do more research than I'm interested in doing to find out more detail. I can believe the laptop and some specialty business, but really have a hard time conceiving it could be cost-effective to fly in large quantities of the bulk type machines already assembled/ software loaded/etc....

But, I've been wrong before... :)

Reply to
dpb

Yes. They have a 500000 sq ft facility in Winston-Salem, of which they are using about 40% of the space, for 700 people to assembly computers. That was as of about two months ago:

Most likely your nephew is flying in parts for Dell. Much of Dell's parts come from Asia (disk drives, for example).

Reply to
Tim Smith

Or maybe both. They may assemble a generic computer in China then customize it here. Lots of speculation, very little facts about this. Or they may assemble the high end here. Until we get a real Dell employee to say otherwise, we're all just guessing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The one thing that is certain is that Dell continues to refine/modify its processes in response to very dynamic market forces, both on the consumption and production side. What they had in mind when the facilities were built 5 or more years ago is quite likely a light-year away from what their current procurement/production/distribution models are. And, what they may be 5 years down the road may bear little resemblence to today's...

Reply to
dpb

| > > I have been through several Skill, Craftsman, and Black Decker | > > cordless tools over the past few years and been rather disappointed in | > > all of them. Nine months ago I bought a combination set of tools from | > > Ryobi and couldn't be happier with their performance. The overall | > > qualitiy of the tools is good and their performance has been well | > > above that of the previous tools. | >

| > .. | >

| > Well, w/ those as comparatives, you're in at least the same general | > range of target market. TTI of course, began as a manufacturer for | > Sears/Craftsman and then built the Ryobi brand and got the | > distribution deal w/ HD from that experience/basis. While I haven't | > looked in detail for several years now, it would be surprising to find | > they're not still making a fair amount of stuff for Sears. I've not | > investigated the Skil/B&D actual manufacturing relationships enough to | > know of any possible connection in production facilities although one | > would presume they're not contracting for them, even that wouldn't be | > out of the realm of possibilities. | | I was talking with a plumbing company the other day who was also using | Ryobi tools. Caught me by surprise that they would be using them | since their load demand would far exceed mine. I ask them if they | were happy with the tools and the quality. Their answer was that | while the tools were not as good as say the Dewalt brand, their cost | was so much lower that they could by three or four and still save | money. Their experience had shown about 3/4 of the use at 1/4 of the | cost. Still seems like a good value. | |

bought a Dewalt screwgun recently and the motor burned out before we finished the 1st job with it, what a piece of crap Dewalt is. my Milwaukee is still going after 25 years of abuse. I hope the new Milwaukee tools last this long.

Reply to
3G