microwave/hood vents

Why wasn't rigid duct used? Thats a lot of flex duct that can get dirty with grease and other stuff that can get trapped.

The damper is basically a flapper door that comes with the microwave that you can put on the back or the top , depending on how you are venting the microwave. It prevents outside air coming in. Sometimes if you have a good damper outside, you really don't need the microwave damper as this is just another load that the fan has to push to get the air out.

Reply to
Mikepier

i would install a booster fan in the attic, it would go on automatically when the stove fan is turned on.

you can pick the size you want for as much suction as you like, noise will be in attic.

likely the cheapest and best solution

Reply to
hallerb

I have the same problem with my otr microhood. I had a Samsung model to rep lace an old 10 year old one I had. The Samsung had very poor suction. Had S amsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed. My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store and got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model I'm just accepting the fact these otr microhood shuts plain suck.

Reply to
zackary.keen

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 5:55:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

eplace an old 10 year old one I had. The Samsung had very poor suction. Had Samsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed. My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store an d got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model

And now accept the fact that you have revived an 8 year old thread.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yup, we put in a top of the line Frigidaire Gallery OTR microwave as art of a total kitchen redo and it doesn't draw worth a flip. Had company service guys out twice and they said it's working properly.

Cooking odors from stove-top frying fill the house and steam from stove-top boiling rises and is taking a toll on the way-too-expensive new cabinets over the range.

We'd thoroughly researched appliances in Consumer Reports before buying and they didn't say boo about the limitations of OTR microwaves. We cancelled our long-time subscription over this failure to inform.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

replace an old 10 year old one I had. The Samsung had very poor suction. H ad Samsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed . My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store and got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model

If you look at the size of a blower in a real range hood, you'll begin to see the problem. You can't put 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag.

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, we definitely screwed up not installing one.

But if the product class of OTR microwaves doesn't work, why the hell are they made and sold...and why don't appliance sales people steer people away from them.

Come to think about it, I may go back and grouse to the major retailer where we bought the new refrigerator, slide-in range, OTR microwave, dishwasher and clothes washer. We left big bucks there and the sales weasel's commission probably covered his car payments for several months...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I have a rental with one of these. The quality has been going down. I think I'm on my fourth one in 30 years.

I just replaced it a few months ago with a Whirlpool that was $160. I was thinking of an LG or Samsung because I thought that the exhaust fan would be better, now I'm glad I didn't.

The second one was put in by a contractor who remodeled the kitchen. I later found out that he had not turned the exhaust fan motors so they blew up into the exhaust pipe through the roof, so for several years there was actually no exhaust at all.

Reply to
sms

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Sears is having a sale!