Mice Pros

What is the best bait for regular mouse traps, Ive used Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter in the past, but I only got Blue Cheese today in the frige, and its not doing the trick and is molding bad. Is it still Skippy Makes Em Dead.. I guess my mice don`t appreciate fine dining. Maybe I should put out a plate of wine with Antifreeze mixed in for them vermin

Reply to
ransley

If you have the regular traps with the metal lever, those will trip if the bait pedal is lifted up or pushed down so you can put cat/dog food or birdseed, sardines, other stinky food under it & get them as they try to nose it out.

If you have the fake cheese traps you need something that will stick to the bait pedal like p-butter or bacon grease.

I am after them in my garage now........

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

I use birdseed under the trap paddle. I have also hot melt glued sunflower seed to the paddle.

OT: I store my Decon poison in the garage on a shelf 6 ft from the floor. Those suckers found it. Don't know how. I guess thats a good thing as long as they don't die in the house. (I don't use poison in the house for that reason)

I kept finding peanuts scattered in my engine compartment and I thought "Mice in the car. THis can't be good" (hence the Decon in the garage). Then last week, I saw a Red Breasted Nut hatch jump on my tire and stash a peanut in the wheel cover. Further watching showed him jump from the wheel to the wheel well to the engine. He was the culprit.

Reply to
jmagerl

I have had great luck with a piece of bar soap.

Reply to
marson

If it is actually mice and not rats...you really don't need a bait. Many pros I know will use a couple of drops of vanilla extract on the trigger or can wrap a bit of yarn or a cotton ball around the trigger.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

I know it's a cliche, but good old fashioned cheese is what I have the best luck with.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

I used to use what they were hungry for, which seemed to be cereals. A little pile of crushed cereal with peanut butter to hold it together.

Reply to
Norminn

i used to use a small square of velveta cheese , push it onto the trigger, worked good. i now put out decon.lucas

ds549

Trap placement is probably just as important as bait - along runways and openings and mice may just stumble into even if not baited. I use poison in attic and basement where pets cannot get at it and have never had a dead mouse odor problem.

Reply to
Frank

I find Just One Bite effective mouse control. It really should be named "Last Supper".

I have blocks beneath the porch, on the porch and in the garage.

Another tactic for mouse control has been to cut back vegetation within

50' of the building. This certainly seems to have discouraged them.

There is also a metal box that you wind up. When the critter tries to scoot through the opening, a mechanism is triggered and the paddle flips him into a holding pen. No bait necessary although a smear of peanut butter in the holding pen seems to help.

Reply to
franz frippl

We used peanut butter, but the mice were initially lured into the house by a piece of leftover fried chicken. They apparently love the skin.

Stacia

Reply to
Stacia

It's the change in the weather, prompting field mice to seek warmer climes.

Anyway, think cat.

You can even borrow one.

Reply to
HeyBub

Super glue a kernel of popcorn on there.

Reply to
SteveB

Tin cats work good. They are made out of sheet metal by Victor, they are available in many hardware stores. They have tunnels the mice go into, and can't get out. You have to kill them. I just toss mine into a five gallon bucket of water. Easy. No resetting, and if one mouse is in there, it draws other mice. No guts and gore.

I have two.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB