Measuring A/C Temp Solved, sort of...

If I saw big stuff from the outside, I'd start with a vac.

Reply to
J Burns

Removes particles and moisture from the refrigerant.

Often fondly called a filter drier.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd sure enjoy hearing how it goes. Thank you so much for taking notes, and sharing.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bad decision. Your actions were much less effective than they could have been.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll admit it. It's not very effective to clean a condenser when it's already cooling very well.

I checked to see how the youtube guys did it. The first was Scott Harrell from Air Tite CLT. They specialize in HVAC design and maintenance for industry, data centers, and other critical applications. He did it from the outside. First he wet everything from the outside. Then he applied the foam to one section at a time so he could rinse each section before the foam damaged the aluminum.

The second was a representative of mainsupplies.com, an HVAC supply house. He did a home unit the same way Harrell did the industrial unit.

The third was a homeowner. His unit seemed to be plastered with dead seaweed. He took the fan off and hosed it from the inside. I would have done the same. After he put the fan back on, he said he would let everything dry several hours before running the AC. Hmmm....

The next guy had three units on a concrete slab. He spent a lot of time taking the fan off so he could remove the louvers. With them out of the way, a lot of fiber was visible on the condenser. He pulled some off with his fingers, then hosed it from the inside. Strangely, he said he was hosing it from the outside. I would have hosed that one from the inside, too. First, I would vacuumed the outside with a dusting brush.

The fifth guy had two units side by side. One looked clean, with anodized fins. The other condenser appeared to be covered with hardened pancake mix. He surprised me by hosing it from the outside, and it worked. I saw clean black fins. He got down and looked through to see that they were all clear.

I would have started by vacuuming mine, but there was nothing visible on the outside. I looked through the condenser, and all the holes looked clear. Clogging wasn't an issue, but I imagined a thin layer of dirt could slow the air a little or interfere with heat transfer. So I applied the foam from the outside, like the pros.

After rinsing, I turned on the AC and went over the condenser with a fine spray. I was using the rushing air to help the water rinse away any remaining cleaner or dirt.

Reply to
J Burns

Yes.

It depends on the actual operating conditions. I'd say about 17 to 20 is typical. But if you have ducts running in the attic, then I'd say it's going to be lower than if the ducts run in the basement. Those attic ducts are never insulated real well and if the attic is

115F, it's going to be a factor. You can also measure it close to the furnace.
Reply to
trader_4

You have *two* lines running there. The small one is the pressure side, the large one the suction side. Also called high pressure and low pressure. The drier is in the pressure side, typically right outside the compressor unit.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, yes, and yes.

By gosh, I think he's got it!

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When my Mom would tell me that she wanted me to do some thing, she would add "and that is a priority!" I'd alays ask if that is high or low.

Anyhow, as to the pressue tubing, you do realize there is high and low pressure tubing?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

J Burns wrote in news:mktt4u$40o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I guess if the condenser fins don't get smaller from 'outside to inside', the only reason it may matter which side you apply the foam cleaner, is which side looks the most dirty. And then, I'd rinse from the same side I applied the foam.

When I get up there tomorrow, I'll have to make that judgement call. In the end, if I can see light through the fins when done, I've done a good cleaning job.

I'll first hand pick and vacuum off the larger stuff.

Reply to
Boris