maytag range repair for a friend

Some friends asked if i ccould fix their stove, the burners are fine but the electric ignition just clicks on the oven, and it doesnt light.

how bad a job might this be? sorry i dont have a model number

Reply to
hallerb

i am 51, just wondering how bad what it might be. never had this problem before.

however i fixed a couple electric dryers recently, and have never owned or worked on one. i fix office machines daily, but kinda enjoy a challenge, but dont want to accidently muck up someones appliance

Reply to
hallerb

Appliance repairs these days are just a matter of identifying the faulty module and replacing that. There are no component repairs and hardly any adjustments anymore.

My plan of attack will be to remove the igniter module and clean the parts. Take down the part number in case you need a replacement module. After cleaning inspect for loose parts or parts out of alignment (alignment as you would suspect in a spark plug gap). Reinstall and see if that works. If not replace. You would have saved a service call costing $70 or more. Before you install the replacement part compare its operation with the faulty one. You might learn something useful.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

In addition to what others said, check your libary for repair books specific to the model in question. That's where I once found a repair manual that helped me fix a dryer, and later, a washing machine. When I went to get the parts for these appliances, I found that the store sold the exact same books. So, if your library doesn't have them, call a few appliance parts dealers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My Maytag oven is lit by a glow-bar...so I can't advise, but keep in mind there is a liability factor to consider. (fire "caused" by repair scenario)

Reply to
pheeh.zero

thanks its a good point, i fix machines for a living.........

have a business liabilty policy that costs a fortune..

it includes all sorts of equiptement. so if something truly bad happened i could call it work..........

Reply to
hallerb

Sounds like you are working for the insurance company.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

its about 800 a year for million dollar coverage, it started at under

200 bucks but skyrocketed recently, like last few years.

glad to say i never had a claim...........

Reply to
hallerb