Making Dry Ice Root Beer Brewer thingy--

anyone know of any outlet for pressure cooker parts? I actually need a generic (any style) wobbler type weight for the top of the pot. I am making a root beer brewer for a halloween party, and have an old gatorade orange drink dispenser with a screw-on lid. I want to put mix, water & dry ice in, then seal to pressurize it (safely) to give realy good fizz. (I did it last year in open (new) garbage can and it was not very fizzy.)

So I want to install a small pipe/nipple coming out top of drink dispenser unit, hopefully nearly same size as nipple that would have come out of top of pressure cooker, but I need a weight to "wobble" on top of said pipe/nipple to regulate pressure. I figured if there are replacement ones available cheap then it would save me from making that part from scratch (not sure what kind of profile to put inside "hole" to prompt the wobble)

Any other ideas from this remarably pragmatic and creative group would certainly be considered.

Reply to
Jack

salvation army or goodwill 2nd hand stores

small appliance repair stores

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

All those are great ideas for producing better rootber.. but I am making a show for the kids at a halloween party.. .so I need to do the dry ice thing for the "show"

Reply to
Jack

A standard 15 psig pressure cooker with an excess of CO2 (as dry ice) will not quite fully carbonate a beverage; this pressure will give you about 3/4 carbonation but *only* if you keep the beverage ice cold during the process. You need at least 20 psig CO2 to fully carbonate a completely ice-chilled beverage. Higher temperature or lower pressure will yield a flatter beverage.

You need about 4 "volumes" of CO2 to properly carbonate a soft drink. Each volume at 32 deg F is about 2 grams per liter. You thus need 16 grams (0.56 oz) of CO2 to carbonate a 2 liter bottle of beverage. So measure out that much mass of dry ice, plop it into the bottle of ice- cold flat soda, burp out the headspace, and seal with an ordinary cap. After the CO2 has fully vaporized, agitate the bottle for about 10 seconds, let it settle briefly, then open and serve.

It is critical to maintain the chill, so you should also freeze a few ounces of water in the bottle beforehand, and break it up inside the bottle before adding the beverage and dry ice.

Putting dry ice in an open container of beverage will never carbonate well. At the CO2 pressure of zero, you can get at most about 1/3 of full carbonation.

Learn all about beverage carbonation on my page:

Richard J Kinch

Pressure cookers operate at about 15 psi, and probably have a pretty good safety margin if they are UL listed. When I carbonate beverages, I do so at about 40 to 60 psi, which would not be safe in a pressure cooker.

I use 1 liter or 2 liter plastic pop bottles with screw-on lids, and pressurize them with a bulk CO2 tank and regulator. I have a screw-on lid with a tractor tire valve that I use to inject the CO2.

You could always carbonate it the old fashioned way with yeast.

If you have a big pressure cooker already, you might try filling it 2/3 with cold root beer and adding a lump of dry ice and sealing the cooker

*with its pressure regulator intact* and letting it pressurize to 15 pounds and hold it at that pressure for a while. Then dip out the carbonated RB with a ladle. (I don't think it will be fizzy enough at 15 pounds)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

(lots of stuff)

Someone mentioned CO2 tank, I'm thinking why not just get the carbonator pump too. Post-mix dispensers use that setup to carbonate the water that is then mixed with the drink syrup. But you want effect, dry ice dropped in a bucket of water made many a "smoke" breathing dragon or boiling cauldron. ;-) cabonate the beer, put it in the can, drop in the dry ice for effect, and a cold root beer!

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

I buy pressure cooker parts from goodmans.com You can google for other places. Just put in pressure cooker parts

Reply to
Warren Weber

How about a water heater pressure relief valve on some sort of container?

You can also buy adjustible pressure regulators for air compressors.

Just a thought.

Reply to
maradcliff

That website (goodmans.com) can not be right. I went there and it's in Japanese and is some sort of medical center. I have been looking for a pressure cooker part so I went there. That site cant be right.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Try